• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thor Cowl Noise Help

4x4Phil

NAXJA Forum User
So, I'm going about 6 months with my Thor cowl and while I love the sound and free space where the old intake was, the whistling screeching sound at partial open throttle is killing me.

I've seen on another cowl discussion where folks suggested spraying sound deadening foam in the cowl or laying down dynamat. The problem with these solutions is that the cabin air intake is right there and the foam smell would make me sick and the dynamat will trap moisture underneath as the area is also a drain for the hood and cowl.

Has anyone had luck with wrapping intake pipe to reduce noise? Adding a second 90 degree bend at the filter so it's not pointing at the firewall?

b34b0646fae3b0c7d10d2d5201eefd25.jpg
50f9c4aae4eb3da49cfae0ed9c2f5600.jpg
cc052ba4bf089c0db8fc18ee941e43c3.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Do you have a bore TB? Some say they create noise, or whistling. They need to be rounded around in the inside slots. I am wondering if the noise at the TB is being projected. Also, I wonder if adding in the bellows of the rubber stock exhaust might help. They are suppose to quite the intake noise, but take away some power. I would wonder if you had a plastic piece to shield the filter, then vent that to the outside. I do have a Thor intake kit, but have not installed it.

I've got one as well. The whistling doesn't bug me, but if I daily drove my Jeep it might.

I remember hearing something about someone using a cabin air filter from a Porsche with it to somehow muffle the sound.

I had the same issue. I tried all sorts of stuff, finally traced it down to the throttle body. I ultimately went to a K&N, the Thor was just too damn noisy for a daily driver. The K&N has a whistle to it but it’s much, much less noticeable because it’s not echoing in the cowl and thus sounding through the A/C vents. Like someone above said, I read that smoothing out the sharp edges in the TB helps. I’m gonna give it a shot.

Oh, and I wasn’t impressed by the intake air temps with the Thor. That metal tube running right over the top of the motor just gets cooked. I even tried header wrap on it, which helped some but temps still got crazy high in summer with stop and go traffic. Then there’s cleaning the cone filter being a pain in the ass.

Oh, and I wasn’t impressed by the intake air temps with the Thor. That metal tube running right over the top of the motor just gets cooked. I even tried header wrap on it, which helped some but temps still got crazy high in summer with stop and go traffic. Then there’s cleaning the cone filter being a pain in the ass.

They do make paper cone filters. My 2000 Ford Contour SVT stock one is paper. It is also shielded in a plastic enclosure. I think I see some trucks with such. Someone makes a 'snorkel' type intake that pops up through the cowl. Looks like a PVC tube with a hat on top. Sort of wonder if that and a plastic enclosure or shield on the cone filter would work.
I'm looking at something else for my present build. I am using the 'TB 'Resonator' from a WJ. Trying to fit that under the hood. Then an enclosed cone filter. Sort of looking were to place the cone filter and were to get air to it. One possibility is through the hood.
Other stuff to work on.

Last edited:
So, I tried opening up the cowl more by mounting the River Raider snorkel cap over the Thor filter. It helped a little, but not enough for my liking. I did try adapting the River Raider snorkel system to the XJ but it didn’t work out, which is probably why they don’t offer it as a kit for the XJ. Ah well. I hope you figure it out. I gave up and just threw in a K&N. I really wanted to like the Thor especially for opening up that stock air box space for a dual battery setup, shame it didn’t work out. I figure I’ll just throw a Jackery 1500 in the back of the Jeep with a solar setup to run a fridge and other stuff on.

Really? I don't see how that's possible. Mine (not a Thor) rests right on the valve cover and it never gets hot, not even hot to the touch. The Thor one doesn't even touch the valve cover.....

I realize the intake air temp reading from the computer may not be the most accurate but still. Pull the data and see for yourself.

Yep. I have Hylines, they are awesome. I have no overheating issues or heat soak problems, etc. I run a Scangauge 2 to monitor things and the intake air temps during summer last year were very high. Prior to the Thor intake I never had temp issues. Once I put that intake on I noticed during the hottest months in heavy traffic I would see intake air temps pushing 180 degrees. I wrapped the tube with header wrap and that helped knock it down about fifteen degrees. I would see my engine temp on the higher side as well. Again, this correlated with the intake swap from the stock air box to the Thor. I’m curious to see how the K&N fairs this summer. This is just my personal experience, so your mileage may vary.

Back