• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newbie hewd gasket tips

Pat94xj94

NAXJA Forum User
Newbie head gasket tips

I have a 1994 country 4.0. Bought it with the engine rebuilt 4 months ago but they did a shitty job. I called them and they basically told me to screw off. Pretty sure i have a blown head gasket. I noticed a small coolant leak coming from the block next to my dip stick. Check the dip stick and the oil looks creamy. So far i got a head gasket, torque wrench, oil, coolant, drip pan, bucket, metal ruler to check for a warped head, and a haynes manual. Im mechanically inclined but this is my first time taking an engine apart. Have any of you who have done this before have any tips for me? Ive watched a few videos and read a few guides but id like more input.

Last edited:
If the head is coming off I would take it to a machine shop to be checked and then leveled. Use Fel Pro head & manifold gasket.
I usually leave everything connected to the manifold that I can, primarily disconnecting the electrical connectors and fuel supply line.
Consider changing the thermostat while you are in there.
Use a gasket scraper and brake cleaner to clean the block deck. Some folks use Roloc wheels, but they make tons of fine grit.
Change the oil and filter at least twice at short intervals 200-500 miles after the work. There will be grit or coolant in the oil from job and you want to get it out quickly.
The rearmost, left hand head bolt under the cowling is a pain. You can't take it out with the head in the engine so you need to use some tape to hold it up. Re-install in reverse. Torquing that bolt is also an issue. Some people use 13 mm 1/2" shallow socket to barely get it. I used a 3/8" drive 1/2" socket on a 3/8" torque wrench.
The head bolts are 1/2" 12 point.

Back