• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Illuminated aftermarket extended idle switch

fordraceboy

NAXJA Forum User
So, I've typed this 3 times now. I've had enough. Here's the cliff notes of installation of an illuminated aftermarket switch for the extended idle on a 1997 XJ.

I was tired of every single post and response of "Just tap the #12 gray wire and run it to a grounded toggle and be done."

I wanted an illuminated switch to know if the feature was active or not.

I spliced into the #12 gray wire at the PCM (Black connector), and ran it back into the cab. I popped the dash apart and then removed the bezel. My XJ only had 2 switches, with a 3rd empty spot, so I was utilizing that for my switch.

here's the switch I wanted, since a 4 hole bezel and/or factory extended idle switch are the unicorns of the XJ world.

http://www.amazon.com/Splash-Resist...50&sr=1-1&keywords=12v+latching+on+off+switch

It uses those tiny 1/16" terminals, so I just soldered my wired direct and then encased the whole shebang in silicone.

Here's the switch wiring I found and used-

anti-vandal-switch-wiring.jpg

I chose the top option so it was only lit up when in use.

I then found this little gem on how to wire a relay for a positive input/negative output. It's a standard bosch style relay.

pos2neg.gif

I wired it all up on the bench first, and it was glorious- infinite resistance when off- lit up like a champ and showed grounded resistance.

All total? $5 for a switch, $4 for a relay, $4 for wire and a relay plug, another $0.71 for random wire ends, and a total of 20 minutes wiring time.

I'll leave out the 4 hours of internet search time trying to find out how to do this, or if it had been done this way. Nor to mention the hours searching for a factory setup.

Photobucket is being a PITA, so I can't load my finished photo without trashing all the typing and links I've already done. I'll see about loading an image from my phone, but it was being a %^&)* as well.

Install location..

Works great- although I have the idiot light dash panel. I have a 6 gauge cluster on the way from a friend (unless I get to the junkyard and find one sooner) so I'll be able to tell exactly how much it bumps the idle. Seems to do a good job on helping alternator output- I'll see how much when it gets dark. Although, since I only run LED's (headlights are stock) it's tough to tell. Did help with my inverter use though.

Last edited:
Anyone with an OBD2 rig, should have some kind of OBD reader, or a Scangauge. Regardless of full gauges or not. This will be more accurate than the stock gauges.

I've got a scanner, I honestly dont know if it has an RPM feature or not.

I was just looking for a ballpark of RPM increase- I've heard anywhere from 2-400 increase. Sounded minimal- by no means 4 or 500.

IIRC, 1000-1100 is what "factory ext. idle" is.

Back