• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New leaf springs need shims?

Red99XJVT

NAXJA Forum User
I have two XJ's. On my 99, I had OME rear 2" HD springs installed about 5 years ago. Everything has worked out well. I don't have a garage or a decent place to work, and I don't know anything about leaf spring suspensions, so Pep boys did that work for me.

I recently bought another XJ so I could set that one up similarly. It's a 2000, and I brought it to a local guy to have new Rancho 2" springs installed in the rear. When I took it for a ride I noticed that it had a vibe which I believe is coming from the rear end. I have enough experience with TJ's to know that it is probably due to the pinion angle not being properly set.

So I am wondering if shims are the way to fix this and are they the only way to fix it. The 99/OME setup has more lift than than the 00/Rancho setup so I am surprised that the 00 has this problem. I didn't give Pep boys shims and never knew enough to request shims for it so I would be surprised if they used them.

If I need shims,what should I buy,a Dan will I be able to easily install them, without a car lift, given that all the u-bolts are freshly installed? Or will it need to go to the shop for this work? Pics of the 99 are coming, the 2000 is still at the shop.

Thanks in advance!

I actually did have a pic of both rigs, but no pics of the new install in the 00.

The 99 is in the background

Last edited:
The 99 has the HP D30. Perhaps the front is vibrating on the 2000 due to the rear spring lift changing pinion angle in the front; the LP D30 doesn't like it?

Back