• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Multiple Double Cardan driveshaft

RockTracXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have actual experience running a multiple double cardan drive shaft?

This would be for a rear application between a 241OR and a Currie Ford 9". I have Warn hubs in the front and I'm confident that my up/down angle is good in the back. The axle/yoke in the back is offset a bit from center and I'm pretty sure that's where my vibrations are coming from (over 60 mph). So, I'm not sure there's any straightforward fix outside of a multiple double cardan.

Direction doesn't affect angle of a driveshaft. As long as the overall angle doesn't exceed what the joints allow, it doesn't matter what direction that angle is going. Make sense?

And no you cant run multiple double cardan joints, unless you use a driveshaft support carrier bearing

I've seen it done.

driveshaft does not flop around like crazy.

driveshaft does vibrate constantly, never be in balance, and break every run or two.

offcenter pinion does not in itself matter, although you may be better off with NO cv joint and running a strait driveshaft, so that you have matching (left/right) angles top and bottom.

I've seen it done.

driveshaft does not flop around like crazy.

driveshaft does vibrate constantly, never be in balance, and break every run or two.

offcenter pinion does not in itself matter, although you may be better off with NO cv joint and running a strait driveshaft, so that you have matching (left/right) angles top and bottom.

Now that is an interesting idea. So, in that scenario side-to-side angles would take care of themselves and I'm assuming I would now need to rotate the pinion back down to where the pinion angle would equal/offset the t-case angle? (Pinion is currently pointed at the tcase)

this...
you left out some vehicle specific info so the "best" fix is hard to suggest.
a regular d/shaft set-up should be fine for small to medium lift.

Straight from Tom Woods website under their XJ section:

"Keep in mind though, that with greater lifts or the smoothest drive shaft, our multiple double cardan drive shaft may be your best choice (four U joints). This drive shaft can only be built with our S spline. The cost for this shaft is $479. The required pinion yoke would be $60."

So yes a double-double cardan can work and work well it seems.

Last edited:
this...
you left out some vehicle specific info so the "best" fix is hard to suggest.
a regular d/shaft set-up should be fine for small to medium lift.

Yes, it has about 5-6" of lift.

Post pics of your setup dude.
So you have a fresh cv , fresh u joints and it was all professionally balanced recently? Then your angles are a little off? Whats pinion angle, driveline angle ? Super soft rear with bad axle wrap?

The usual suspects? Yes, those have been addressed/worked through. Drive shaft - good, u-joints - good, leafs - good. I don't have the current angle measurements. Here are some pics.

IMG_3600_zpsd83kajvj.jpg

IMG_3602_zpsfkyj2t2x.jpg

IMG_3603_zps9hfdhxxz.jpg

IMG_3604_zpsb98tyerv.jpg

IMG_3564_zpsvlrqlnwu.jpg

I know this isn't scientific by any means, but your driveshaft looks a little off at the slip joint. What did you do to verify it is straight?

Shim it down so its pointed 3-4* below the dS angle. and its good to know it was just recently balanced with brand new u joints. My money was on the pinion u joint inconjunction with axle wrap and too high a pinion angle. You have pulled the front then rear to verify its 100% comong from the rear ? Also, are your tires recently balanced?

Back