• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Filter Adapter - Regular Bolt Head

BADaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up a '91 Comanche with the 4.0 HO, and I am in the process of swapping in a '95 HO from a ZJ. Both engines had a regular bolt head on the oil filter adapter bolt and the filters were mounted vertical.
I haven't really seen this style in any of the write-ups and thought it was odd that I had two engines with the same thing.
Can anyone confirm if this is the "old" or "new" style, and if I can rotate it to horizontal to allow a WIX 51515 filter? I know this topic has been beat pretty good, but I don't see anything mentioned for the HO bolt style except for Torx head or a 9/16 allen head. The MJ also has the 3/4-16 filter thread warning label on firewall...
The adapter part number is 8933002787.
Dealer quoted the following o-rings for the '91 MJ based on the VIN, which I read are for the Renix, so I'm confused.
33002970 - $9.66
33002971 - $9.80
33002972 - $7.84

R5ETDFw.jpg

HLPHRPu.jpg

U47X0NA.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry for the mega picture, not sure how that landed there, they were both resized before uploading... Hopefully someone can help me out and delete that one!

Yes, that is the early style adapter. To rotate it, you need to remover the roll pin from the block.

I can't answer the filter question, I went to a horizontal mount on my RENIX jeep. I did not appreciate my NAPA Premium (by Wix) draining back after shut down.

I figured I would bump this again. Another source of information with people with 91-92 4.0 liters.

I asked the guy at the dealer counter if he had any idea if they are going to run out of stock anytime soon for the two smaller O rings that are specific to the 91-92 4.0 He checked the national stock and said there are roughly 400 between the two in the system. I only asked because when I went to the dealer the guy at the counter said that "most" dealers will have the O ring kit for jeeps after 92 but no the two o rings needed for 91-92. Maybe I will stock up on a couple pairs for future service.

Also can I say pricey for o rings? I didn't feel like calling a handful of autopart chains and asking someone for such specific parts without driving there and checking myself so I preferred to go to the dealer and get the right o rings no question asked.

(please don't call me :gee:)

Is there anything different about the blocks that would prevent installation/swapping of the "new" style '92+ adapter onto these blocks that used the older adapter and older o-rings?
By the way, I did end up rotating mine horizontal and installing the larger WIX 51515 without any issues. I also used a thin film of black RTV where the adapter meets the block just for extra insurance.

The 91-92 used the same adapter as the 87-90 4.0L's
The o-ring's are readily available at any place you buy o-ring's (hydraulics shop, auto parts store, etc...).
The complete set can be purchased for around $3.
a954fea2fac2803621f209e19c89d592.jpg

The numbers represent the ASTM oring designations.
Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

The 91-92 used the same adapter as the 87-90 4.0L's
The o-ring's are readily available at any place you buy o-ring's (hydraulics shop, auto parts store, etc...).
The complete set can be purchased for around $3.

The numbers represent the ASTM oring designations.

Noted. I saw this before I ordered from the dealer. I have yet to find a good auto parts store to go to while searching for certain parts.

It took me across two towns and a full day just to find copper battery lugs for new battery cables without waiting days for them to come in. It was pulling teeth to get people at the counter (autozone, orielly's, advance, napa) to just try to do a manual search on their system.

Dealer was painless.

Skip the big box stores, start looking for specialty shops, grab the yellow pages and go old school.
Hose and Hydraulics shops, alternator and starter shops and such...

Yeah i found a great place for fittings and gaskets on the distributor list for the company that makes the cam seals for volvo and they carry so many hard to find small items like this. They're a hydraulic parts distributor.

Sent from my HTC M9 using Tapatalk

Iirc, there's a member of comanche club that sells 'kits' for a low price.
Also, in your parts store 'help' section, should be an o-ring kit that has several in it. I believe the correct ones are in it.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Iirc, there's a member of comanche club that sells 'kits' for a low price.
Also, in your parts store 'help' section, should be an o-ring kit that has several in it. I believe the correct ones are in it.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

I picked up the Dorman oil filter adapter kit which is universal. It may work for the later year XJs but there was only 1 out of 3 for the 91-92 XJs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IIRC, there are no "store bought" kits available for the 87-92 4.0 adapters, even the dealers list them singly. Like all things most suppliers "list" a compatible kit, but they don't actually cover the earlier adapters.
There are a few people on the forums assembling kits and selling them as such. More to make life easy for those that don't have the ability to assemble one themselves (not judging at all, I know some owners just aren't mechanicly inclined).
That's the very reason I made that picture, so the info was readily available for those that could use it. I also have the same data for the later adapter as well. Both my 00 XJ and my 88 MJ have been using plain old auto part store orings for the last 10yrs.

Nope, didn't mind it on CC either (I'm rockfrog there).

Back