• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What would you do for an ebrake?

spinaldex

NAXJA Forum User
Got an XJ with a rear 9" w/ discs, ie no ebrake. Not often, but occasionally I need an ebrake to give the foot a brake in between winch pulls or just as an extra safety precaution when leaving the rig above and beyond putting the transmission in park.

I thought about one of the line lockers, but everything I've read say they are complete garbage. The alternative seems to be a t-case setup (caliper, bracket, lever, etc), but I have a Rubi 241, and for the life of me I can't seem to find a bolt-on. I have a buddy that does a ton of fabrication so that might be an option, but I thought I would ask here to see what other people might have done, what works and what doesn't, etc.

High angle driveline sells parking brake kits for the output. But it's spendy and requires a decent amount of fab work in an Xj.

Lots of guys run line locks with no issue. As long as your not leaving it for hours on end you'll be fine. I wouldn't think twice about running one if my axle didn't have parking brakes

E brake?

You drive a jeep! Let me guess, you try to stop oil leaks too? Pfffffff

If they will bolt on then there ya go!

Yea, apparently they are weak. So best option seems to be to do a t-case setup, but that's a loy ($400),or run Eldorado calipers that are weak and the parking brake can be finicky. Well, guess I need to save more.

Just do a line lock then. Keep it simple....

If your current brakes are good that is

Just my .02

I don't want to be harsh on anyone but I wouldn't want to drive without a proper ebrake. What if your brakes fail? Also, not to wish anything bad on anyone but what if your brakes fail for some reason and you cause an accident hurting someone else? A quick vehicle inspection or admission of no ebrake could cause a lot of problems. Not to mention the legal issues depending on states requirements of having a working ebrake.

I wouldn't be happy if I was rear ended by someone who was driving without a very key safety feature on their vehicle.

I don't disagree at all. The problem is the availability of the feature once you customize your rig. The Ford 9" hasn't had a lot of options there ... and the few vehicles that used rear calipers with ebrakes (such as the Eldorado) are known for having brake problems as the calipers can seize and the ebrake needs constant adjustment. The alternative seems to me to either consider an electric line lock or transfer case brake, both of which have their uses. A brake at the t-case is the best solution, but extremely difficult as my t-case (NP241OR) is larger than stock so its really close to the body, which means putting a rotor on that yoke/flange means possible body work for the the rotor and the bracket and caliper needed.

I don't want to be harsh on anyone but I wouldn't want to drive without a proper ebrake. What if your brakes fail? Also, not to wish anything bad on anyone but what if your brakes fail for some reason and you cause an accident hurting someone else? A quick vehicle inspection or admission of no ebrake could cause a lot of problems. Not to mention the legal issues depending on states requirements of having a working ebrake.

I wouldn't be happy if I was rear ended by someone who was driving without a very key safety feature on their vehicle.

It's actually only a PARKING BRAKE. Guess what, if your brakes fail chances are that may not work either.

I had that same delema when searching for a 14bolt. Found a late model 14bolt with factory disks and ebrake so i lucked out there.

There must be a way to adapt a factory set up on your own. But how much is your time worth. That kit is bank but takes no RnD or fab on your park. Bolt up and go. It would be worth it if i were in your position. Unless there was a tried and true swap known and available. I would think 8.8 would be your best route to try first.

It's actually only a PARKING BRAKE. Guess what, if your brakes fail chances are that may not work either.

That's why most are a direct mechanical linkage separate from the rest of the brake system. If a line would fail you still have a safety net.

I tried the elderado calipers... which did nothing. I don't recommend it at all.

I now have plans to add a hydraulic hand brake. I've thought about the line lock as well, but decided against it as it could just as easily prevent the brakes from working if the valve we're to fail or short out.

A lot of the german/other import stuff has a mechanical apparatus built in to their calipers for the park brake.
It is still not meant for "emergency" stops or the sorts.

A few have commented on going to a different rear end... I'm running a Ford 9" so I'm already where I want to be, just sub an emergency brake.

As for the suggestion on buying a kit, there are none for my situation since I have custom axles and a different transfer case. Whatever I go with will be custom.

Back