• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Stabilizer - Which style/brand to go with?

Prizbiz

NAXJA Forum User
Hello!

I was straightening out my steering wheel by adjusting my front linkage the other day and realized that my steering stabilizer is shot to crap. I could push it in by hand with barely any amount of force. Once the linkage was all tightened up the stabilizer now squeaks loud as can be while turning the wheels... which can only mean that it's time for new parts ☺

I've never had a problem with rough country quality so I figured I would go with theirs... I'm running 35x12.5x15s (on stock gears kill me now) with an iron rock offroad over the knuckle suspension on my 99 cherokee sport which sits on 6.5 in of lift. The options that rough country offers are a dual stabilizer setup and a single stabilizer setup.... more is better right?

Here they are http://www.roughcountry.com/steerin...cle_make=13&vehicle_model=304&vehicle_year=76

What do you suggest?

Thanks,
-Priz

With the proper set up, none. You don't need it. Mine is old and very wore out. It's there for decoration. Duals are a joke. They mask the problem.

I would not waste the time and money on a dual stabilizer setup, if one is needed it is only to mask issues that need correcting. If you are having problems with your steering, a stabilizer is not the answer. I however would not say that you don't need one. The stabilizer is there to supplement the system in case of an adverse condition. Without it any issue that could arise will be greatly magnified. That said it sounds like you are not having issues, and are just looking to replace a worn unit. A single quality replacement is all that is needed to do this. I run the IRO steering on 35x12.5x15 mtr-k's with about 6" of lift. I use the Monroe sc2928 magnum stabilizer with no issues, it's a well built unit that wont break the bank. Take that extra cash and save for some 4.88's :) . I personally find that RC has great customer service, but real crappy quality control. I hate having to do the same thing twice, so I have veered away from the on many items. I'm not trying to bash them, just passing on what I had to learn the hard way.

If your front end components are in good shape you don't even need one. In my opinion stabilizers are just marketing hype so companies can sell you more stuff. My last 2 jeeps (and my brothers jeep) haven't even had a stabilizer on them.

If you really want one just buy a cheap white body rancho or similar, anything more is just wasted money that could be put towards something else.

The closest my Xj will ever come to seeing a stabilizer will be when I add hydro assist

I'm just a simple guy, but it seems to me that any vibrations absorbed by your steering damper are vibrations that are not being absorbed by your suspension components/bushings.

But that's just my uninformed opinion...

Im a fan of the Rancho HD steering stabilizer. it fits well and holds up.

I got the el-cheapo Monroe at the o-really store. It is not really there for much other then decoration as jbsjunk said. The OEM one with 185xxx miles still had lots of life in it. I only replaced mine cause I screwed up the threads on the stud end while doing a v8 ZJ tierod/draglink conversion.

Another controversial post by me regarding the "need" for a steering stabilizer:

I hear a lot of, "you don't need one" or "it's only there to mask a problem." but IMO there is another reason to want one even if you have no problems. I personally feel every tiny pebble in the road through the steering wheel without it and don't like it. So after mine failed and I removed it and a few months of driving with no issues I put a new one back on.

I would go with the cheapest one you can find.

Back