• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What Shocks to buy

MarkCrx

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up a used Rubicon Express lift without shocks and I'm not sure which shocks to buy without doing some messuring. I know these kits typically come with shocks so there has to be a standard size shock for this lift. Any help would be awesome

Jeep - 96 xj
Lift - 4.5 front 3.5 rear

Also any suggested places to get a good deal?

Spend as much as you can on shocks.....they are worth every penny.

For your limited lift, I would recommend Bilstein 7100s

http://www.eshocks.com/bil_ORvh.asp?Series_Index=Q3&Length_Index=8Q4&Manf=All&SubChar=Q

Don't forget to tune them as your vehicle bias isn't perfect but I would start with 255/70 in all 4 corners then tune from there.

I would recommend 9100s in the front if you had a little more lift but they are harder to fit and I totally would get the ACV upgrade as it works nice on the heavier front ends of the XJ.

As far as lengths, I would GUESS 10" shocks for the front and maybe 8"-9" for the backs but hopefully someone will chime in with specifics.

Last edited:
Thanks Cracker but those 7100's are a little out of my range. Looking for a decent shock that aren't too expensive like under $100 a piece, maybe the 5100 series? I need to know the length and compress to buy for my lift.

Sure thing Serious, can you offer any specials or discounts? I have a price of $337 on your website with shipping. I found the same thing for $294.17 free shipping. let me know if you can beat that price and i will buy from you.

Why you're at it, why don't you go joing baseline4x4.com's forum and ask them for help on things.

Thanks DeftwillP, i didn't see any advice from you so why don't you find another thread to sandbag.
Seriously....i have let it go. let it go...

YOu already buy shocks? I have a set of Bilstein 5150s in the 12" travel flavor.

Do you have the specs on the shocks? Compressed and extended lenghts?

PN: F4-BF5-A187-H1
Specs say 29.7 ext and 17.78 coll valving is 255/70 which is the highest offered in 5150's
Front pair have stem's up top already.
PO ran them about the same height you are at and had the fronts mounted on an extended LCA bolt.

Last edited:
Back