• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Valve cover vent - how to remove?

The vents fit into rubber grommets. The rubber grommets are soft when new and turn to stone over time. You can try spraying WD40 or other penetrant in there and working the elbows with screwdrivers on either side, but don't be surprised if you break them. Plan on replacing the rubber grommets and elbows before you break them.

I put vice grips on the top where the elbow comes out (just firm not tight to break), then pull straight out while using a large flat screwdriver to help the lips out. Sometimes the rubber grommet wants to come out of the valve cover instead of the elbow coming out the grommet, thats fine too, you want to help not force

Spray some lightweight oil-based lubricant to help it slip out

My case the rubber grommet and plastic elbow hardened and became so brittle, I gave up and got replacements, then tried again with the replacements on hand, broke both pieces into several pieces trying to get it out and put in the new pieces. New grommets does wonders to reduce the amount of oil around the valve cover.

Thanks for the replies. I have the valves on hand after ordering them from teamcherokee.com. I guess I should get the grommets on the way too.

I put vice grips on the top where the elbow comes out (just firm not tight to break), then pull straight out while using a large flat screwdriver to help the lips out. Sometimes the rubber grommet wants to come out of the valve cover instead of the elbow coming out the grommet, thats fine too, you want to help not force

Spray some lightweight oil-based lubricant to help it slip out

This sounds like a great idea that is less likely to break the lips of the elbow vents.

Thanks for the replies. I have the valves on hand after ordering them from teamcherokee.com. I guess I should get the grommets on the way too.

You can buy then locally at Auto Zone, Advance, etc. as well for a couple of bucks. You'll be amazed and how hard the old grommets get over time.

Back