• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lower Control Arm measurements

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
I have fixed LCA's that came with my lift. On my 2001 XJ, the frame side LCA mount has an oval shaped hole that is probably about 3/4" to 1" long.

Is there a way to measure accurately to determine where in that frame side LCA mount I need to cinch down the bolt?

That frame side should have a shoe in it with two studs sticking out the back of the mount. Shims are required to sandwich between that shoe and the frame mount. To accurately determine this you need to know you castor angle.

Right, the oval slot is the outer bucket. There should be another bucket inside with a round hole and two bolts at the end that let you add or remove shims to move the inner bucket back and forth along the slotted path. Its the alignment mechanism for the factory arms.

38540d1298329509t-lower-control-arm-mounts-img-20110221-00040.jpg

DSC07518.jpg

ehall is spot on with the shoe. There is a chart that indicates corrects length of the LCA for any given lift height.

Thanks for the thorough answers guys, but I neglected to mention I have drop brackets....

(Slaps forehead)

If you don't have any way to set the position, then you should probably lock it in the back, since its going to want to slide back anyway. I'd call the vendor and ask them if you were supposed to set the position somehow--doesn't seem like the bushing sleeve would be happy without a circular mounting point.

What kinda drop brackets ? Rubicon Express and Rough Country drop brackets re-use Item #7, an alignment shoe, which the Factory Service Manual calls a clevis. Download the Rough Country Drop Bracket install instructions, it has pictures.

standard.jpg

Back