• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ 242 t-case into 2000 XJ

Jeepguy91

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Well my np242 t-case in my xj just went out. Lost everything in it except for 4 low. I found another 242 t-case out of a 99 wj. Everything i have looked up about it says that it should work except i will have to change a couple things on it. I know the WJ's don't use a speedo gear as they pick that up somewhere else. My thinking is i should be able to use my speedo housing off my 242 correct? Also thinking about swapping my output shaft out of my case and putting it into the wj case as mine is already set up for a sye. Does anybody see anything wrong with doing this?

Thanks,
Ben

The inputs changed on the I6 compared to the V8, so double check that. In theory the tail cones should swap between the cases to get you the speedo cable hookup.

If you have the v8 case, sell it and buy a XJ one, as the V8s are rare and worth ~$400.

Cant comment on if the WJ main shaft has the gears for the speedo cable, or anything about the SYE.

Agreed on the value of the V8 WJ case -- 32 spline and valuable. You will have to swap the rear of the case with your XJ case, as the WJ does not even have a place to put in a speedo gear... you are correct that the WJ takes speedo signal from the rear antilock brake cogs. Also, WJ's use a ridiculously long input gear on all t-cases to mate to the 545 tranny -- that gear won't work in any XJ, so you'll need to swap in the input gear from your XJ case as well. Since you'll have to do a complete tear down of the WJ case to make it work, you might as well rebuild it while you're in there to ensure everything is kosher... seems like finding the right XJ case might be alot easier/cheaper.

Well just got done with the swap. Everything was a direct swap. Only thing I switched over were my sensors and tail housing. Input gear was same length as xj case.

And the wj main shaft does not have the gears on it for the speedo.

the longer input gear is V8 only, now that I think about it -- the 4.0 doesn't use the 545rfe tranny.... Glad it worked out for you!

Yes no speedo teeth on main shaft. I swapped out the shaft from other 242 cuz it was already set up for sye and had teeth for speedo. Was actually a really easy swap overall. New t-case came out of a 99 WJ.

Back