• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4x4 turning issue.

Pchitti

NAXJA Forum User
Im pretty sure its not normal, but JIC it is I would like to save me some REALLY cold inspection time.

When I have 4 wheel engaged anytime I turn at low speeds there is a binding feeling. Doesnt do it in 2w, doesnt do it while turning at speed, only seems to happen when turning tight. Gas stations, from a stop to turn onto a road, and stuff like that.

Just to add on, that is perfectly normal, which is why you don't drive on pavement in 4wd. If your transfer case has the "Full Time" setting, use that if driving on pavement.

to be honest, not sure. there is no full time or part time option. 2h, 4h, n, 4l. Aw4 build sheet says command track part time.

Here is the drivetrain info from the build sheet.
4-Speed Automatic AW4 Transmission

Lock-Up Torque Converter

Command-Trac Part Time 4WD System

Floor Mount Automatic Shift Lever

Dana M30/181MM Front Axle

3.55 Rear Axle Ratio

Corporate 8.25 Rear Axle

Don't use part-time 4WD on pavement.

Read the owner's manual

Search

X500,000

This is 4WD 101.

I was playing with a early 4 Runner with an automatic one day. On wet pavement and in a empty lot, I turned real tight while idling. The vehicle turned, went a few feet in the circle, and stopped and would not go forward. I backed up while increasing the radius and it was happy.

The reason this happened is because the transfer case did not have a differential. Part time cases (4lo, N, 2WD, 4H) do not have a differential. Full time cases (4H, N, 4LO) do.

With a Part time Transfer case, When the rear axle and the front axle try to turn at different speeds, the drivetrain binds. With a Full Time case, the difference in axle speeds is moderated by the differential in the transfer case, just like an axle differential allows you to turn corners without wearing out tires and that annoying "Chirp" sound.

:lecture:
Lesson #2:
4WD will allow you to go at insane speeds for conditions.
However, you can't stop any faster with 4WD than you could without it.

"Lesson #2:
4WD will allow you to go at insane speeds for conditions.
However, you can't stop any faster with 4WD than you could without it."

Lol that I do know. Texas gets ice every year, many rednecks figure that one out the hard way. Not my first rodeo with snow, just never had a 4x4 to help out.

I do change to 2w when I hit clear roads or very light stuff. Guess I need to start looking for a replacement transfer case and front end or vehicle.

I don't think you need to replace anything.
Just realize what the issue is, and avoid it. All PT case 4WD do this; it's normal.

In the winter, I seldom use 4WD. It gets used in snow over 2~3" or going up slick residential hills.

Part-time 4WD locks the two driveshafts together. When you make a turn all 4 tires go different arcs, which also forces the front and rear axles to turn at different rotational speeds. But since the axles are synchronized by the transfer case .... something has to give, either the wheels will slip or the drivetrain will bind and maybe break. On road surface, the tires have a lot of traction, so they do not like to slip, so you are binding up.

Part-time is best used on loose terrain like dirt and gravel where the terrain adjusts to the tires.

If you try to use it on slick surface like ice or rain, you will just force the tire to slip. Most people dont like slipping around in the ice and rain, its pretty much the opposite of what you are trying to accomplish.

Snow, you can use it, if you are mostly going straight in powdery stuff. You might still bind in turns, and you will slip if you get on ice spot in a corner, and you will bind up if you get on exposed pavement. You gotta know when to use it.

ps--jeep calls it part-time because you are only supposed to use it part-time

What all would be required to convert to Selec-Trac?

From what I have found with a quick search, TC and rear drive shaft. Guessing I would need the shifter also and maybe the console insert if I wanted to ake it look right.

Last edited:
yep just looked at his, had to find the link through a post on another forum. lol

I agree, but small town makes for lots of changes on short drives.

Mine was jerking while turning at slow speeds too.

I just got an alignment and greased all the zerk fittings and I had no more jerking.

This is for a 98 4.0L/AW4/DANA 30/CHRYS 8.25/ Stock driveshafts

Back