• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle seal replacement question about bearing races.

srivera2010

NAXJA Forum User
After installing my lift kit on the xj I noticed the passenger side axle had been leaking. I went ahead and removed my axles, gears, and seals and will be reinstalling tomorrow. Is it ok to reuse everything minus the seals. I was wondering if new bearing races need to be installed or anything else? Any help is appreciated. thanks

As I know, bearings usually go bad from lack of lubrication or excessive heat, if bearings are fine, I'd also reuse them. I would only replace them in case of an axle overhaul, and only with a good quality brand like skf or Timken (even though I hear Timken only makes bearings for heavy machinery and the auto ones they sell as Timken are rebranded).

With so many new parts being complete crap I work along the lines of if its in good condition, leave it.

I definitely agree with this concept in general. Prove it bad before you replace it with some unknown Chinese made part.

BUT....every time I've had an axle seal leak, the bearing WAS bad. Usually the axle too. Check them closely.

Back