• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2wd to 4wd?

DD196XJ

NAXJA Forum User
No luck finding a nice 4wd XJ yet but there are quite a few nice 2wd XJs for sale, cheaper of course. Is converting to 4wd a matter of bolting parts in and changing the front diff? Are all the correct mounting points under a 2wd? Prefer 98 - 01.

thanks

Is converting to 4wd a matter of bolting parts in and changing the front diff?

You'll need a 4X4 tranny, with a transfer case, a front drive shaft, an altered rear drive shaft, a front axle (the same gear ratio as the rear) and a different console if you want a clean install.

Other than that it's really a piece of cake. Most if not all of the parts can be found either at the junkyard or by buying a wrecked donor. Try searching for 4x4 conversion. Lots of write-ups. If you're not up for all that...keep looking for a 4x4. Expand your search.

Last edited:
You shouldn't need a new console. I believe that you just need the tcase indicator bezel and pop out the 2wd change holder. Ive never messed with a 2wd but i believe they just have a blank insert.

Also read the first post on the AW4 thread. Good info on what you need when swapping different year trans and tcases.
http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1053970

Last edited:
You shouldn't need a new console. I believe that you just need the tcase indicator bezel and pop out the 2wd change holder. Ive never messed with a 2wd but i believe they just have a blank insert.

True, I've never looked at a 2wd console. I just A$$umed

Personally, a well setup 2X will go to around 3/4 of the places I ever want to be. A limited slip in the rear, the right springs and rubber and I hardly ever need 4X. The exception is snow and ice.

Back