• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Power Surging?

Kingkong0192

NAXJA Forum User
99 XJ/4.0/AW4/D30/8.25/201,000 miles.

That's the best way I can describe it.

It goes from having power, to when you press the pedal nothing happens - except you kind of feel the jeep surge and then it just regains power again. Normally does it in bursts. Power, no power for 100 feet, power again, no power, etc. (I can watch the RPM gauge spike and drop).

I bought the jeep a few months back with no compression in the third and fourth cylinder. (Ran, but had a real bad misfire and the engine shook like crazy.) Put a new headgasket on along with a head a machine shop just went through. Runs and idles flawlessly.

One thing I've been thinking about and I think I'm crazy is when I put the exhaust and intake manifold on I put RTV on both sides of the gasket (which I read to do online, but totally regret). I'm thinking maybe it's possible some RTV oozed into the intake or exhaust manifold and is preventing air from going into the engine or exhaust from escaping out? But I feel like if it was this it would be constant and wouldn't surge.

It's throwing a P0132 code. (02 sensor high voltage.)

Also, the vacuum line going to the vacuum canister is broken. There's an 8" or so piece missing from the line. Just heard the vacuum leak earlier tonight as it's the first night I've driven the jeep. I'll buy a piece of tygon tubing tomorrow when the stores are open to fix this. Could this lead to surging?

Any ideas?

Just parted out a 97 XJ so I have parts/sensor galore at my house. I'd just like someone to start looking. Thanks!

Fix the P0132, fix the vacuum leak. Either one could cause surging.

02 sensor fixed. Vacuum line fixed.

(I took the battery out when fixing the vacuum line resetting the cel and its not back on yet. Haven't driven it really though.)

Put the throttle body off a 97 I just parted out on this jeep. IACs had different connectors so I swapped the 99 iac onto the 97 throttle body.

Bolted it on the jeep, plugged everything back in. Same problem. Where to look?

TPS?

Back