• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Running lights are too bright

escout

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

Recently I've had a few friends tell me that my brake lights are stuck on. Really what's happening is when my running lights are turned on, they operate way brighter than they have in the past, so when I brake there is BARELY any difference. With my running lights off the brake lights work as they should.

Again, my brake lights work as they should, it's just the running lights that burn too bright. I'm not the best when it comes to electrical issues, but if someone can point me in the right direction I can probably figure it out.

Btw, I just put in a new brake light switch and it didn't help anything.

I appreciate the insight

the brake light filament burns brighter than the running light filament, have you changed the bulbs for perhaps the wrong number? they should have 1157 bulbs in them. it could also be possible but more unlikely that you wedged them in backwards but the offset pins should keep that from happening.

I haven't messed with the bulbs unfortunately. The brake lights do get SLIGHTLY brighter, but not enough to easily notice during traffic conditions.

Start by replacing the bulbs and see if anything changes.

It sounds like you might have bridged circuits somewhere. Do your running lights get brighter when you step on the brake?

I would start by removing the rear running lamp and brake bulbs and checking for debris on the contacts. Make sure the bulbs are inserted correctly as suggested above. If you have a voltmeter, check the terminal voltage at the connector.

The first gen have a set of dedicated tail lamps just below the tail/brake lamp.

ive also seen this happen when one of the filaments has broken and is contacting the other set of filaments inside the bulbs, effectively closing the circuit on both running and brake lights when either is turned on.

I ended up replacing all the exterior lights and disconnecting the wiring I had hooked up to power my trailer lights....This time I had no running lights, although everything else worked the way it should. Turns out, I got a bad bulb right out of the box. After I went back though and put second set of lights in the rear, all worked fine......I need to find a better solution for my trailer hitch wiring now.

Back