• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air locker question

moparcyco

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to get my rig ready for fall fling in Moab.Just got my 4.88s and powertrax in my 8.25,and I am about to start on the front.My original plan was to change the carrier and run it open.But since have decided that's more damn work than I want to do.So I am thinking about a Yukon zip locker.
Anyway to the point I am running out of time and don't think I will have enough money to get on board air before I go.Can the locker work from just a tank?I have a couple I can make work,so if its engaged does it require a lot of air to stay engaged?or am I dreaming here?I will probably still install it and run it open if I have to_Options? tires gears and all have about bled me dry just trying to have the best rig possible.
As always thanks everyone.

You can use a tank but you must run it through a regulator so it engages within the psi range that is recommended for that locker (I don't know since I have ARBs). It should not require much air volume but you should be careful to watch the psi in the tank. If it falls to less than recommended you could have a failure that damages the locker because it will not engage fully.

why dont you just install a cig lighter air compressor from pep boys? they have them for like 20 bucks, it is not like you are running huge volumes of air, if you can hook up a tank you can plump one of those compressors.... just a thought

According to powertank, the 20oz tank they sell will do about 500 locker activations. I'm too cheap to pay a premium for their junk so I did this. If you try to run it off your 10lb or 20lb tank, you will have a leak and empty your tank. :) You can refill the 20oz from your bigger tank with a fill kit.

https://powertank.com/products/sfID1/13/listPage/3/productID/227

I bought a set of ARB's for my XJ and before ever installing them decided to sell them to my son and go with Detroit Lockers instead. Had them for several months before hand to think about it and finally decided the problems that could arise with the air was one I did not want to deal with. The same applied for a electrical ones am I just an "Old Guy" that worries too much or is this an issue that can be a problem on the trail with the lines as well as a pump failure.

Not to hijack your thread just wondering, I see the real benefits of an air locker in the front don't get me wrong with a much harder turning on sharp switchbacks and turnarounds of being able to disengage it quickly while still being in 4WD.

Thanks for any input...

If I started over, I'd have gone with an Eaton E-locker over an ARB or other air locker. Two wire hookup and you're good to go. No compressor, regulators, solenoids, air lines, o-rings, or any of that crap.

Eaton warranty is a joke. Pther than that I love my elocker. Failed once when some heavy brush unplugged it. Fixed in about 5 seconds.

Happen to have a parts list?

20oz paintball tank
Gentec 227c 150psi fixed regulator
Stainless steel fill valve
1/8 NPT nipple
1/8 NPT -> 1/4" bushing * 2
1/8 NPT -> 1/4 push lock

Regulator is 1/4" npt in and out. The stainless steel paint tank "fill valve" is 1/8" out.

In the engine compartment I used a 1/8" BSPT male to 1/8" NPT adapter to go from the ARB solenoid to the 1/4" brakeline stuff.

Mark

20oz paintball tank
Gentec 227c 150psi fixed regulator
Stainless steel fill valve
1/8 NPT nipple
1/8 NPT -> 1/4" bushing * 2
1/8 NPT -> 1/4 push lock

Regulator is 1/4" npt in and out. The stainless steel paint tank "fill valve" is 1/8" out.

In the engine compartment I used a 1/8" BSPT male to 1/8" NPT adapter to go from the ARB solenoid to the 1/4" brakeline stuff.

Mark

Thanks man! Keeping options open for air on my arb.

Thanks man! Keeping options open for air on my arb.

Sorry Liama to have hi-jacked your thread won't do it again.

But thanks to those who replied, a lot of my decision was based on the availability for the Chy 8.25 differential.

What is your set up (tire size) and what trails you plan to run at the Fall Fling?

With a rear locker and the slickrock traction, you should be fine for *most* trails with one locker.

Back