• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front End Woes

MuhHeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, noob here.... I purchased an already lifted XJ. HP D30 front and D44 rear on 35'. It has a long arm front from Rough Country I think. I has Iron Rock steering and double shear track bar. The previous owner said he installed BDS 8.5' front coils and I didn't get the rear leaf spring manufacturer.

So I've found and fixed several issues, but, I have another issue with the front end. When the suspension is compressed and released, it doesn't move straight up and down. The body moves diagonal; as it compresses it moves to the driver's side and on release it moves to the passenger's. Is this caused by the angle of the track bar?

When making a corner, the body rolls much farther when turning left than right. In all situations the front passenger coil seems softer than the other front spring, can this cause the diagonal motion?

Just as an aside, I am considering purchasing new springs for it as I think it is up too high.

If that really has 8.5" coils and stock track bar mounting then ya sounds like thats your problem. The full long arm kit will come with a drop frame mount but its not that much. 8.5" is a TON of lift and its really always going to feel unstable being that tall.

The track bar is a double shear with a drop bracket. I think it is Iron Rock manufactured, but, I'm not positive. The front coils are BDS 8.5 inch. He showed me the receipt for them and they are only like 9 months old.

I don't know how much it's moving but a certain amount of side / side movement or diagonal is normal. It's part of the suspension design - you have control elements (track bar & control arms) that are 90* to each other so things will move in an arc described by the track bar's radius.

Back