• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 problems

434vega

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everybody,I am new here to the forum. I have been reading and searching articles the last two weeks on here about the aw4 transmission. A couple months ago I purchased a 1992 jeep comanche with a bad transmission for the hunting lease. I removed the transmission and had it rebuilt and I reinstalled it with a new converter. The problem I am having now is with the shifter in overdrive it takes off in overdrive,with the shifter in d3 it takes off in 3 and has no downshift.

1992 jeep comanche 4wd 4.0 AW4 transmission. I have been through numerous procedures mentioned on here with no change in the symptoms listed

1) Installed new TPS and tested it as described on the forum

2) I ohm'd out the solenoids at the 7 way connector at the firewall.

Trans temp Cold Hot
Solenoid 3 Pin E 14.2 ohms 16.1 ohms
Solenoid 2 Pin F 13.8 ohms 15.5 ohms
Solenoid 1 Pin G 13.5 ohms 15.5 ohms
Some of the numbers are a little out of the recommended range. I can apply 12 volt to the solenoids and you can hear them click.

3) With the TCU plug connected and disconnected it drives and manually shifts great.

4) I removed the NSS,cleaned it and reinstalled it as per a write up found on here. I tested the pins at the NSS plug for continuity in all the gear selections and they all tested fine.

5) I properly adjusted the TV cable.

6) I checked the D16 pin on the TCU plug and had 11.89 volt.Ignition on 12 volt pin. I checked the hot wire from the battery to the TCU,pin D14 and had 12.11 volts

7) I back probed the solenoid wires coming out of the TCU while driving and none of them showed any out coming power at all.

8) I used a ohmmeter on the speed sensor and it showed the switch to be opening and closing while I rotated the output shaft.

9) I replaced the brake pedal switch.

Sorry in advance for the long newbie post,I am just pulling my hair out over this situation. The only codes the check engine light is throwing is 41,alternator field open or shorted.I am really hoping somebody on here can lead me in the direction to fix this problem.

Thanks
Bill:cheers:

I would check the status of your ground connection for the TCU. I am not sure if yours is in the same location as my 98; but mine is connected to the block near the oil dipstick. If it looks good, I would next check continuity between the ground wire at the TCU harness and a known good body ground. If this tests fine, I would then check the wires from the NSS to the TCU for continuity. If these test fine, I would be led to believe you may have a bad TCU, which you can grab from your local junk yard. Hope this helps.

I'm with him, check the ground.

Once you have confirmed the ground, check the wires from the VSS all the way thru to the TCU, if those are damaged it will exhibit that behavoir.

Finally got back to fixing the Comanche. Installed a salvage yard tcu and it solved all the issue's. Runs and shifts great,thanks for the information guys.

Back