• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 Carrier bearing cap rust

LYKOS

NAXJA Forum User
I have a HP.D30 housing that's been sitting open to the weather for some time.

Some surface rust has appeared on the inside/bearing side of the carrier bearing caps. Are they trashed or can you clean them up with some sand paper and still use the housing?

As long as the metal isn't heavily pitted I'd say do your best to clean them up without getting aggressive and roll on with the build. The main thing to keep in mind is to keep the caps oriented as they were machined from the factory.

I'll throw in a second vote for replace as they don't cost much and the bearings and race are designed Togo together so any kind of modifications to one or the other can cause issues.

I'm pretty sure the bearing caps are machined as part of the carrier and can't be replaced. The main reason not to re-install them backwards.

Unless they are really eaten up, just soak them in vinegar overnight, scrub then down with a brass brush and reuse them. All they really have to do is fit tight enough to keep the outer race from spinning. Pits aren't likely to hurt anything, so don't get carried away with the sand paper.

Ok cool, I'll do a good inspection and if not nice smooth and even I'll replace the housing or just build my LP D30.

Thanks for the responses. I've never messed with regearing...

I'll throw in a second vote for replace as they don't cost much and the bearings and race are designed Togo together so any kind of modifications to one or the other can cause issues.

Pretty sure he's asking about the bearing caps in the housing, not the actual carrier bearings (which yes, you're both correct that bearings should be replaced if there is any pitting)

Yeah I missed that part just clean the caps up and don't swap sides as they are machined and only go on the side they where machined for. Just be gentile and don't go crazy you may even want to try a rust remover first then clean up after any remaining rust.

Back