• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

overheating problem

moose.65

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 XJ with a 4.0 and it recently started overheating. It has a newer thermostat the clutch fan and water pump are good. I have flushed the radiator 3 times no clogs and the water was crystal clear after each time. I have burped it a after putting antifreeze (50/50) in it. It has no loss of power no smoking and the oil isn't milky or anything. I have also cleaned the radiator with coil cleaner so that's not a issue
Thanks, Brian

How hot is it getting? Is the gauge reading correctly? Is the newer T-stat working and of the correct heat range? New does not equal good or functional! Is the cleaned out radiator, clear of blockages? How do you know the pump is good? Got any codes on the ECM?

How hot is it getting? Is the gauge reading correctly? Is the newer T-stat working and of the correct heat range? New does not equal good or functional! Is the cleaned out radiator, clear of blockages? How do you know the pump is good? Got any codes on the ECM?

The thermostat is a 195*. It's running up into the red on the gauge. I also have a obd2 reader that connects to my phone it has no codes and the gauges match up. I know the water pump is pushing water because it has no leaks or squeels and I pulled it and the fins are all there. The radiator has no clogs. And also it has no codes

Well I'd start with a pressure test. I would also do some temp verification with an external gauge, if only to verify vehicles gauge and sender function. Do you have any other symptoms of Overheating , other than the reading on the dash gauge? Is coolant blowing out the res tank? Are the AC vents acting funny? Do the spark plugs show sign of excess heat? Is the Efan turning on when it gets hot and with the AC compressor? ect.

I guess I should have provided more information. It was boiling over. I pulled the head and the gasket was bad. I was hoping for something simple but I believe I have it fixed. Thanks

Back