• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.88 and 33" tires

Joe

NAXJA Member #887
I want to here from the experts on the following subject.

What gear would 33" tire and automatic work best?

4.56 or 4.88

Thanks.
Joe

Work best where?Ive got 33's and 4.10's,on the road Im almost exactly as stock.But for the crawl I got the Tera-low to make it "sweet".

4.88's = :thumbup:

I've got 4.10's and think they are crap. 4.56's wouldn't give me what I want. I plan on 5.13's maybe 5.38's with 35's.

Later,
Lincoln

What kind of wheelin' do you plan on doing? Rockcrawling or trails and mud? How much time will you spend on the pavement? Is this rig your daily driver? Mine's a daily driver that goes off road about twice a month, mostly rough trails and mud, some slick rock, and I run 4.56's with 35's and I'm happy.

Off road there is little or no difference. On the street you will most likely be happiest with 4.88's. We've had a lot of discussion on this subject, and the majority of comments are that the 4.88's are prefered. If you do a search, I'm sure you'll come up with quite a few posts on this subject.

I run 4.10's with 33". Just about stock on the highway. Works fine offroad for me. If I ever really needed a lower gear I would put in the 4.1 T-case gear. I have an AW4. Juice

I have 33's and 4.88 and it is wonderful.

I personally do not go any faster than about 75 on the freeway and anything over about 70 the gas milage does go down. In other words if you drive alot on the freeway and you drive at 70 or above then I would probably do the 4.56's.

Michael

So what's the top speed with 33's and 4.56 gears? With 33's and stock 3.73 gears I'm lucky to top 75 on snowboard trips up north, but I hit the hills and drop to 60. Then there's this trip to Moab, about 7 hours on the hiway doesn't sound like a good time for an already thin ass. :)

Figuring a .72:1 overdrive (depends on tranny) I figure you would be running close to 4500 rpm's at 135 mph. I don't think I would push it much over that for long. :D

Later,
Lincoln

I thought I read somewhere on here about 4.88 gears being "weaker" than 4.56's? Weaker in design, not in torque. Something about the way the diff housing is designed? I don't know? They say, "the mind is the first thing to go", and I can't remember what the second thing is.:D

I have 4.10's w/32's and find them a little tall. In hind site, I would have gone with 4.27's or 4.56's. Note, that the 4.10's put my current gear ratio equivalent to a 3.55, which was the original stock gearing on the stock 28" tires. You can calc it yourself: (Old tire size/new tire size) x new gear ratio = equivalent ratio at old tire size (typically a 28" tire). With the 32's and 4.10's, my XJ feels like it did before I lifted it. I should have increased the gear ratio to accommodate for more resistance of beefier/heavier tires and wheels.

Weasel said:
To get stock ratio 3.55 you need:
31's ~ 3.90
33's ~ 4.18
35's ~ 4.43

But the vehicle isn't stock anymore, so why would you want to maintain the stock final drive ratio?

With 33's I'd sugest 4.56s or 4.88s
I'm set up with 33's and 4.10s and kick myself for not listening to those who warned me when I was so concerned about limiting my highway speeds.

Well because I like driving 85+ on 400-600 mi. trips. When my XJ was stock the crawl ratio was great. I'm not looking to over rev my poor 4.0. Thats where I am right now since I have to run 3rd most of the time.

Joe go 4:88, you are running an auto just like mine and 4:10 sucked on any grades, I know you don't hot rod around so 4:88 would not be an issue for you

Yeah. Despite the fact that I have this situation currently, 3.55 is a crappy gear ratio for anything that's not just a car for street. Acceleration is mediocre at best and your tranny will be shifting a lot on hills. I'd say it's better to minimize stress on your tranny than to try to keep the revs down going 85. My "3.55 equivalent" gear ratio has me taching about 2800 RPM's at 85 mph. That's w/4.10's and an overdrive auto tranny. I get 14 mpg because I have to stomp on it from stops. If I went to even 4.56, I'd tach around 3100 at 85 mph, which is still in the normal zone for cruising. An auto tranny w/overdrive drops the rpm's down another 15%. Try this gear ratio guide at 4wheelparts: http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tirel_Gear_Ratio.asp.

Joe, the best thing to do is go the 4wheel parts website (http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tirel_Gear_Ratio.asp) and ask yourself what's the highest rpm's you're willing to live with on the highway for extended driving. I'd pick your gear ratio from there.

Back