• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dome light staying on

kmanxj5050

NAXJA Forum User
2000 XJ

Just randomly did it to the wife this morning. The passenger door switch has been broken for 2 years, so I threw a spare I had in there thinking that was it and no cigar. It is very dim when all the doors are shut and the headlight switch is off. But if you open a door or turn the dome lights on via the headlight switch they get brighter. I tried disconnecting the battery and had no luck there.

Any ideas?

I need to know atleast what fuse that is so I can unhook it (no owners manual).

UNFORTUNATELY, You will lose the radio IIRC.

I fixed mine by pulling the dome light BULBS. Careful though...they HOT.

the door switches are to ground, so chances are you have a short to ground in the done light circuit/switches.

the light bulbs are keeping the current from popping the fuse.

Try clicking the rear cargo light with all of the doors closed and see if they go out, that would rule out the hatch switch. After that go door by door and try disconnecting the door switch, if the dome light goes out with that door switch unplugged than that is the bad one. FYI new door switches are around $10 from the dealer.

Also if you need to disable the dome lights unplug connector C3.
Junctionblock.png

Back