• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lubricate and Grease 99 XJ 4x4

miikeb56

NAXJA Forum User
have a 1999 XJ 4x4 w/ 100,000 miles that I have been doing a tune up on. I have everything done except greasing/lubricating the joints, axels, etc...

Can anyone tell me what I will need and where to lubricate? Pictures would be really helpful!!

1. grease gun - what kind, any? multiple fittings?
2. Where are the grease points? Can you post pics?
3. What kind of grease?
4. Anywhere I just need to put grease around a fitting? Driveshaft?

I have done all the work myself and consider myself somewhat mechanically inclined I just have never owned a XJ before.

Work Completed so far:
Bilstein 4600 shocks
New front / rear brakes / rebuild
TC/Trans/Differential fluid changes
Spark Plugs/Distributor Cap/Rotor
Radiator/Heater Flush
Valve Cover Gasket
Muffler/Tail Pipe
All front end bushings

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

I have a standard grease gun with 3 tips.
One "regular" size, one slightly smaller, one for u-joint needles. Zerks are located at each tie rod end, ball joints (tops), some have a zerk in the u-joint itself. Some u-joints are sealed except for the end caps, which use the tiny fitting. There is a zerk at the middle of the front drive shaft too.

You'll do well crawling around under the Jeep with a flashlight.or my trailer and aftermarket greaseable shackle bushings. I use all purpose grease, nothing fancy. I used to use marine hi-temp grease on rear wheel bearings, but no more boat to launch so I just use regular hi-temp stuff.

You can also go around and look for rubs, places where paint, or even dirt has been rubbed off. These are the usual phantom "squeaks" that can be fixed with a dab of white lithium grease, as it doesn't wash off as easily as regular grease, lasts longer.

One thing to do is to remove the rear driveshaft and goob up the spline gears on the slip yoke and re-install. I put as much grease on that as it'll hold, some people use anti-seize on the spline.

Back