• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Xj 8 inch short arm coils bowing forward

Scotto6591

NAXJA Forum User
I have 1999 xj it has about 8.5 lift adjustable upper and lower control arms with rough country control arm drop brackets. The coils are bowing forward does anyone no how I can get the coils straight?

Obvious answer, run shorter ones. Your coil buckets are tilted forward to point the pinion up at the tcase with the giant amount of lift. Shorten the uppers or lengthen the lowers to flatten out the coil buckets, but you will probably have driveline vibes due to the pinion angle being low. If you run a tire large enough to need 8.5" of lift(40"+), you should swap in a larger front axle and you can weld the coil buckets on it at the proper angle, parallel to the ground.

I have never ran drop brackets personally... I went to long arms with my first lift.

However, 8.5" lift and drop brackets sounds a bit sketchy. Do you need all that lift?

Shorten the upper arms (or lengthen the lowers) which will help the castor, but will risk getting vibes due to driveline angle. Or take out 3" of lift.

Seriously?

Less lift, or long arms. Your coils are bowing because that amount of lift is causing your axle to swing back toward the frame. You will never have proper geometry running drop brackets at that high of a lift.

Pics? Who makes 8.5" lift coils, Rusty's?

At that height, you probably need to rotate the coil buckets on the axle to get everything to work.

Actually, to not only get the coil buckets in the correct location but to have the correct caster angles at that high of a lift you would need to grind out the plug welds on each side of the cast center section and rotate the axle tubes. You want the pinion pointing directly at the transfer case output and the caster angles are at 7 degrees, if I remember correctly, then weld the tubes back to the center section.

Also, that is too much lift for drop brackets, you need some sort of long arm set up.

I too, at one point, was running 8.5" of lift and until I rotated the axle tubes and went long arm, the ride and handling was absolutely horrible. When you go long arm, the Jeep just floats over everything, it's amazing.

Oh, by the way, BDS has 8.5" coils. If I remember correctly, there's about 4-5 different manufacturers of 8"-8.5" lifts.

Your best bet is to drop it a few inches theres absolutely no need to be that high

Actually, to not only get the coil buckets in the correct location but to have the correct caster angles at that high of a lift you would need to grind out the plug welds on each side of the cast center section and rotate the axle tubes. You want the pinion pointing directly at the transfer case output and the caster angles are at 7 degrees, if I remember correctly, then weld the tubes back to the center section.

Also, that is too much lift for drop brackets, you need some sort of long arm set up.

I too, at one point, was running 8.5" of lift and until I rotated the axle tubes and went long arm, the ride and handling was absolutely horrible. When you go long arm, the Jeep just floats over everything, it's amazing.
a better alternative than rotating the tubes is just to rotate the Cs themself.

dude cut them down. Get to around 5.5 and call it good with the drops

Problem with rotating just the c's is the coil buckets will still be angled. Rotate the tubes and the caster an coil buckets stay at factory spec while the pinion is rolled up

Problem with rotating just the c's is the coil buckets will still be angled. Rotate the tubes and the caster an coil buckets stay at factory spec while the pinion is rolled up

Good point. How difficult is it to grind out the plug welds?

yeah but you figure most if not all the people who ever rotated there C's also did something about the buckets anyway.

but still WAY easier and less time consuming to just buy some 5.5" coils and remove a few leafs from the rear. there's a reason that almost all of us run about 4.5" of lift. big lift and small wallet don't go together

Back