• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 Swap Shock Mount Questions.

Cburb88XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I need to install shock mounts on my 8.8 and i understand they need to be as close to leaf spring as possible and mounted at like a 90 degree angle on side of the tube so it hangs straight out when axle is bolted up.

What is confusing is i see people installing mounts in the stock setup left back right front. Then i see people installing both mounts on front and also both mounts on back? whats the difference, i was going to just do like the stock staggered setup.

Another thing is all the aftermarket mounts have the shock eye parallel with the tubes, unlike the factory setup witch is perpendicular to the tubes, i would think perpendicular would be a better setup and easier on the bushings, better for flexing. Is this not true? seems like if i set it up like that i gotta make mounts myself.

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/SBSIDEMT.html these are only things ive seen that could work but seems kinda weird, not sure.

Last edited:
I think the one front one back is to help fight axle wrap.

And I agree with you about the bushings binding on the parallel style mount. But I guess on leaf springs it doesn't matter that much. But I'd like to use the single shear style the the bushing can spin on as it flexes.

Yea I'm still kinda confused about it all. Not sure about those mounts either.

I rum the Ruffstuff mounts, but modified them a bit to get the shock length and placement I wanted, pushing the mount outboard.

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=913774&page=13

IMG_7018.jpg

IMG_7034.jpg

Pretty cool I think I might just make my own and weld a bolt onto whatever bracket I make for the eyelet.

I've always just mocked the things up bolted together and that way you can tack it on the angle you want.
I say bolt it to your shock, mock it up, tack it in, remove shock, burn it in and be done.

Yea shame the perpendicular mounts are expensive. I'm just gonna try to use some square tubing and some bolts and nuts to make a mount.

Check out poly performance, tnt, etc. Reasonable prices.

There's a few I've found that aren't priced too bad but they all have about the same design. Still not sure what the difference with all the different mounting locations are.

If you have the material, not much reason to not make something yourself for something so simple. Going to do a stock-ish style where the shock mounts on the bolt? Or, have it run in double sheer like xjeeper?

Id like to run the stock style where the eyelet is perpendicular and i guess mount it on the side of the tube close to the u bolts. Just not sure if my mounts should both be on the back, front or just 1 in the front of the tube and 1 in the back of the tube like factory.

Also since my shocks are designed for the stock syle that hangs down im not sure how that will affect them once they are on the tubes moved up some.

Do you want to mess with the upper mounts? If no, put one in front and one behind. To match the uppers. If yes, don't.

Raised shock mounts suggest shorter shocks, or more angle. More angle suggests more damping.

Yea i guess ill plan on mounting in the stock way. It will still raise them being how they are going to be on side of tubes though.

I know this thread is a few weeks old but thought I would add to the confusion.
When I did my 8.8 swap I cut the old shock mounts off the D35 and shortened them up a bit and welded them back on the 8.8.
Cheap simple and works well.

I welded a bolt on the center line of the axle close to the perch. nothing hangs below the bottom of the axle now....i'm looking of the pics i took. it looks very clean.

I ended up getting ruffstuff shock mounts since I got 18% off.

I welded a bolt on the center line of the axle close to the perch. nothing hangs below the bottom of the axle now....i'm looking of the pics i took. it looks very clean.

Who needs wheel travel when you look good?

Lowered lower shock mounts without raising the top into the cab can take 4-5" off your shock lengths... Which is unacceptable in the performance world.

Back