• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whad'ya think?

jeeperjohn

NAXJA Forum User
So I have been putting some thought into building a front axle that is light weight (relatively speaking) and strong enough to handle 35's all day long with no issues. I want to use readily available parts like what is stock on a D30. So..........
Here is my thought: Since the last weak point to address on most D30 builds is the ring and pinion, I Take a Toyota 8" center section and tube it with D30/D44 tubes and use D30 knuckles or maybe WJ stuff. Get a set of RCV axle shafts and truss it up nicely. It seems to me such an axle would hold up very well with 35" tires. While the cost would be perhaps more than a typical D30 build, I think after all is said and done it would come out cheaper than building a D60 with less weight. This is all assuming the ability to do all of the fabrication work myself. What do you all think?

D30 axle shafts are too prone to failure for me with 35's. I have even taken out several D44 front axles.

well the one guy was selling an axle used in the jeepspeed series that was based on a yota center section, i've seen you drive if it can handle jeepspeed it *might* handle you. haha.

why waste your money and time? build a d60 and forget it. I've never had a problem caused by heavier axles, aside from a little speed. If anything, the center of gravity is lower.

If you are going to go this route to do all of this work why not use a hp44 center?

If you go yota use the HP third. From what I understand yota ring gear measures 7.8" not 8", they rounded up, isn't the 30 only 7.2" in diameter anyway?

My gut is betting on the fact that after all of that work time and money you will have more work time and money into that build than just using a hp44(or a inexpensively built 60 like vanimals ) and swapping front rims than trying to save the 5 on 4.5 .

keeping dana 30 tubes and outers isn't ideal either . and WJ brakes are expensive whereas HP44 brakes are cheap (t bird calipers and decent summit rotors and some good pads) . I did the WJ swap right before blowing the 4.88s in my 30 and going to a hp44 and when I blow that it will be a hp60 or a 609 . Wj swap is Easily a 800$ or more by the time you are done.

Last edited:
I've seen a lot of 8"/30 hybrids.

I've seen a lot of broken 8" carriers.

Go HP44.

It comes down to how you drive. Every axle is going to have downfalls and weak points and drawbacks and advantages. I mean, if we are going to nitpick, the famed Rockwells are too heavy and only offer one gear ratio. BOOO! :D

My 30 held up fine on 35s, and I ran all the trails except the Hammers. If you *know* you are going to beat the hell out of your rig in any way, then maybe the 30 with 760 joints and chromos will fail. I drive rather tame, comparatively, because I love creeping along and dominating trails with my rig in one piece.

But if you must throttle out of every stuck and you have to go 120mph over the whoops, well...

if the rest of the axle lives, the rcv's will twist splines or pop bells.....screw that.

i know a place who used to be known for Costing Too Much....and now their price beats rcv......

i like 9s.....build a 44/9 hybrid and save your $ for the 60 stuff if youre breaking it.

or put d50 gears in a 44......

It comes down to how you drive. Every axle is going to have downfalls and weak points and drawbacks and advantages. I mean, if we are going to nitpick, the famed Rockwells are too heavy and only offer one gear ratio. BOOO! :D

My 30 held up fine on 35s, and I ran all the trails except the Hammers. If you *know* you are going to beat the hell out of your rig in any way, then maybe the 30 with 760 joints and chromos will fail. I drive rather tame, comparatively, because I love creeping along and dominating trails with my rig in one piece.

But if you must throttle out of every stuck and you have to go 120mph over the whoops, well...

dude i ran claw, sledge, wrecking ball, outer limits etc on bald 36 tsl SXs and 260 joints.....and i took man lines.

after having money rigs and broke rigs....im all about the broke j-yard spares on the trail style builds. and y'all know where i work.

no, like this fool

cocaine-guy.jpg

Back