• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 OTK Steering Mod using Currie HD steering

XJEEPER

NAXJA Member # 13
NAXJA Member
I performed this mod a few years ago and documented it for a thread, but the writeup got shuffled aside, while I focused on other aspects of my XJ Buildup III project. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=913774

Buckle up.......

The Currie HD Steering is a definite upgrade over the stock XJ Inverted-Y setup, but after running it for a few years, I discovered that the draglink TRE at the passenger knuckle had developed play in it and would need to be replaced. I really didn't want to drop the $$ for a replacement Currie draglink, so I pondered a bit and came up with a more cost effective solution.

The solution was to modify the Currie draglink to accept a replaceable TRE. Genius, right?

I also figured that if I was going to modify the Currie draglink , I might as well move whole steering assembly Over the Knuckle as well.

Recognizing that the Currie draglink was designed with a bend in it to provide adequate coil bucket clearance at full lock, I first sourced a tierod end and threaded tube insert which would allow me recreate the existing geometry and maintain adequate clearance. A Teraflex offset HD TRE with small taper (D30) would do nicely.

Part Number: TER4920232
• Right hand thread
• Small taper
• 7/8" x 18 TPI shank

• 7/8 x 18 TPI threaded insert with 1.125 ID

100_5097_resize1_zps3098637c.jpg

I then sourced some round tube to make a sleeve which would accept a threaded tube insert and would also accept the decapitated draglink, while retaining adequate strength.

DOM Tube - 1.5” OD x 1” ID x 4” Length

100_5113_resize.jpg

100_5098_resize.jpg

Next, I machined the ID of one end of the tube to 1.125" (using my die grinder and a carbine mill bit) to accept the threaded tube insert.

100_5102_resize.jpg

Now things get serious…..enter, the Sawzall. I measured over 5.25” from the center of the TRE mounting bung and then cut off the worn out passenger side end of the draglink.

100_5103_resize.jpg

Using my angle grinder, I removed material from the “stub” of the draglink (see picture) until the DOM sleeve would fit snuggly on the draglink,(1.25" OD) and at a depth of approximately 1.75". I intentionally removed more material from the "front" side of the draglink, to help maintain the proper geometry and alignment of the tube sleeve with the draglink. I milled the ID of the other end of the DOM sleeve to 1.25" to mate to the draglink stub.

100_5110_resize.jpg

100_5112_resize.jpg

The TRE holes on both knuckles were then drilled out to ¾”, to accept standard taper weld-in inserts from Goferit Offroad. http://www.goferitoffroad.com/products.htm RuffStuff sells these as well. These were welded on from above only. (Knuckle shown is WJ, but same process, no need to remove from axle.)

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w52/XJEEPER1/XJ Build III/IMG_8787-1.jpg

I then test fitted the new offset TRE and modified draglink setup on my rig, tack-welded the DOM sleeve to the draglink at the proper angle and then removed the assembly and completed the welds, using a couple of passes on the inner side. I then used an abrasive flap wheel to blend the welds between the DOM sleeve for a clean transition.

100_5115_resize.jpg

100_5116_resize.jpg

Here’s the only shot I’ve been able to find which clearly shows the completed modified OTK Currie steering setup installed.

IMG_5313.jpg

Keep on mind that this OTK mod will change the operating plane of your draglink, which will require you to move the axle end of your trackbar up to match, so they operate on the same plane. Not doing so will result in the undesirable condition called "bumpsteer". http://www.naxja.org/html/techarticles/bumpsteertech.htm

Note that I swapping in a HP D30 when I built this rig and I planned ahead for future steering options. I installed a JKS Trackbar relocation bracket on the axle, which has multiple mounting holes for the trackbar so one can easily vary the plane which the trackbar operates, to match the angle of the draglink.

As with any mod such as this, your life, the lives of your family and others you share the roads and trails with are at risk. Proceed at your own risk.

I trust my fabrication and welding and I ran this modified OTK Currie steering setup before migrating to WJ knuckles and steering, then sold this setup to a buddy, who 4+ years later is still running it on his XJ. I’ve jumped my rig 75’+ feet over dunes while running this steering setup and it is rock solid.

I welcome any questions that you may have.

When you went otk did you have to relocate the track bar?

Note that I swapping in a HP D30 when I built this rig and I planned ahead for future steering options. I installed a JKS Trackbar relocation bracket on the axle, which has multiple mounting holes for the trackbar so one can easily vary the plane which the trackbar operates, to match the angle of the draglink.

I was already running a JKS Trackbar mount on the axle, which was installed BEFORE I went OTK with the steering. So the answer is YES, you will need to relocate the trackbar axle mount so that the trackbar operates on the same plane as the draglink.

Before OTK shot:

100_1607.jpg

Back