• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LS in XJ summary (?)

yossarian19

NAXJA Forum User
I'm just about done stuffing an LS in my '57 Chevy truck and thinking about doing the same in the XJ some day if I don't switch platform.
From what I gather, LS issues in the XJ are...
Truck motors : alternator & intake are high for the roof line, AC is a PITA to mount, Novak mounts require Novak headers, block huggers needed in any case, after market gauges needed, 4L60E shifter has to be interfaced to Jeep's, oil pan likely to interfere with front suspension, seems like the Novak radiator is pretty much required, Dana 35 need not apply. Oh, any you'll likely need to change the accelerator pedal out to the electric w/ TAC module.

Seems like the car engines, like an F-body LS1 or similar, would be a better fit? More cost up front but maybe easier to dress, not having to swap oil pans and mess with accessory mounting or throttle module.

Am I missing anything model specific? I know how to do the wiring, just wondering what other "gotchas" there are with getting an LS / Vortec stuffed into the XJ.

How much lift are you running? With 38's... I'm just guessing your suspension setup is a bit different than what I'm likely to run.

Step one : get the truck street legal
Step two : gut engine compartment, sell parts, save up more money
Step three : the stuffin'

Yeah... If I ever get around to this project on the XJ, it would likely be on 3" lift or less.

Swapping a car intake on the truck engine is not a big deal.
There is a vendor over at pirate that makes custom low pro lsx pans.

Back