• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaf spring bolts all the same?

N8N_99xj

NAXJA Forum User
Looking at teamcherokee it looks like they are... would like to have new ones on hand before starting to change springs. Appears that front spring, shackle end spring, and shackle to frame are all the same spec bolt, and then i'd need some prevailing torque nuts? searching says the bolts are M14x120, 9.8 or 10.9 and I have a Fastenal right up the street (yay) so if someone can confirm that they're all the same I can confirm size/pitch/length on the shackle bolts.

Yes they are. LCA bolts are also the same. Buy yourself a few of the nuts as well, worst case you have to replace the weldnuts in the frame. They're a flange head all-metal (staked) locknut, same thread spec, class 10 or 12 hardness. Nuts only get the first number of the ISO property class spec.

M14x2.0 coarse thread, 120mm long, flange head, I forget how long the unthreaded portion of the shank is but it's somewhat important, preferably with an unthreaded lead tip so you can get the damn thing started easier. They should be ISO PC 10.9 or 12.9, I certainly wouldn't go with an 8.8 and I don't believe a 9.x property class exists.

great, thanks for the info. I can infer unthreaded length from looking at the shackle end spring bolt.

BUT... after pricing the bolts on Fastenal's web site, it's actually about the same price to order the exact right part from the dealership! (both about $9 apiece!) I ordered four and am hoping that I can save at least two...

If they dump salt on the roads there don't hold your breath on reusing those. The biggest problem, aside from the bolt threads rusting, of course, is that the metal sleeves inside the bushings seize up onto the bolts. You may have good luck with this if you take your time and aren't afraid to burn a lot of rubber but that could end up being a lot of time. For my driver's side front bolt I ended up cutting up the entire leaf eye and bushing, then had to cut the inner sleeve into tiny ringlets before I could get the bolt out without destroying the mounting box. Bolt was toast after I had nicked it with the angle grinder so much.

Back