• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 - Blue Plate & Transgo

Mesh

NAXJA Forum User
I took a long break from the Jeep and the forums after losing two cams a piston and basically everything else. Hopefully I’m back, trying to keep busy every day after work and weekends. So on to the transmission it burned up.

Parts being installed:

IPT Blue Plate Kit (Been sitting in the garage a few years not sure if it’s still available).
q344.jpg

Transgo 340-HD2 Reprogramming Kit
j9ce.jpg

I’ll try to add pictures as I have time.

9man.jpg

Cleaned case. I don't like dirt getting in things.

dl8d.jpg

Pan off. Under the thin brown layer was a thick grey layer. That can’t be a good.

r6hq.jpg

A cheap way to remove the oil pump without a puller. Under two bolts that hold the pump on you will find threads for a puller. After removing all bolts replace the two bolts with studs then find some larger bolts for the puller holes and slowly work it out.

8htm.jpg

Valve body out and half way in.

fgel.jpg

Empty case.

5j82.jpg

I use Ziploc bags to keep things organized.

iepy.jpg

Some damage. Clutch material completely gone on two plates.

subscribed

You may have notice a finished looking valve body in last picture. It was all finished except for having a torque wrench that went low enough. I borrowed a torque wrench today and the valve body is done. Also found a bad solenoid that may have been causing some problems.

unmz.jpg

Valve body ready to be opened.

k4cu.jpg

xokv.jpg

Normally taking pictures wastes time but these were used to put it back together.

zvai.jpg

Made the first Transgo kit modifications. I decided to go with the truck setting and stay in first while in the 1-2 position. One of the drill bits broke off and I had to use a center punch to remove it. Remembered I had some Dremel bits which I should have been using from the beginning.

dke3.jpg

I cleaned everything then I cleaned it again. It all went together fine except for the transgo kit has you replace a valve for the stay in first feature. They supply a valve which is identical to the original except its hollow and you throw a ball and a rod inside it. The ball and rod don’t make any sense but I followed the directions exactly.

yuqx.jpg

Started soaking the plates. I’m hoping to get this finished by mid-week.

Nice.

Maybe the AW4 in my XJ need that kit also and/or a torque converter. I have no real problem with it but it is down by about 2 MPH right through the RPM range. It have been like that since I bought it in 2003 at 125,000 miles. It is now at 274,000 miles and work exactly the same way. The temperature could get upward of 210 degrees in summer stop and go traffic but cool back down quickly after a few minutes of steady driving at 45+ MPH (4th gear over drive).

Re: AW4 - Blue Plate & Transgo

What's the IPT kit do?

http://www.importperformancetrans.c...ebuild-kit-w-raybestos-blue-plates--1785.html

IPT performance transmission rebuild kits feature the same parts that we use on our in shop custom transmission rebuilds.

The complete overhaul kits include all necessary seals, gaskets, filters, shifting bands, friction clutches and steel reaction plates that are required when rebuilding transmissions.

We utilize only the type of clutch and reaction plate material that we feel is best suited for each particular unit.

The kits will enable the do-it-yourselfer or repair shop to achieve transmission performance and durability when used in conjunction with one of our modified valve bodies and custom torque converters.

(This kit includes Raybestos Blue Plate Special Clutches for the Direct, intermediate and Overdrive Clutch Packs, as well as our exclusive 6 friction disk C-2 clutch pack for a 50% increase in third gear holding capacity).

After the first rebuild it worked great until it burned up. Then I put in a wrecking yard unit and it felt like I lost a lot of power. With only cleaning the valve body and the Transgo kit it should put some new life back in the transmission.

The Raybestos Blue Plates are complete overkill. Hopefully with better parts, firm shifts and larger trans cooler this won’t happen again.

I had to work late the last couple days so I’m not as far along as I’d like. First pack is in; this is rear planetary, brake pack, clutch and shaft. Found a lot of gunk in the clutch and a broken O-ring in the brake piston. I’m using the ATSG AW4 manual for the rebuild I highly recommend it when doing a rebuild https://www.atsg.us/atsg/chrysler-manuals-1/jeep-aw-4.html.

4wdm.jpg

9bfn.jpg

3hod.jpg

Things were going well until I came to this. After the clutch material went they ground into the steels and it’s all warped. The top retainer plate was supposed to get reused but it’s too damaged.

q8f3.jpg

This is not the same transmission. I really didn't want to steal parts from my spare but I’m not finding a retainer anywhere. I’m going to keep looking then do a minor rebuild on the spare when I find one. This was way too much work for one plate.

ubq6.jpg

The new solenoids came in, it cost about the same to buy a full set. I could have taken them from the other transmission but at the time I wasn't planning on doing that.

I took a lot of pictures so I’m just going to post a bunch of them. I didn’t take too many of the new clutches and steels being installed because my hands were covered in ATF.

87ln.jpg

lq6c.jpg

y9cr.jpg

lzo8.jpg

thanks for all the pics! I can't help if this is encouraging me to tear into my spare transmission, or terrifying me because of what looks like a million small parts, lol.

keep it up, can't wait to get the report of the finished product.

Grimm: they're not as hard to rebuild as people think. I'm planning on going through one to have a good spare before I kill mine. I've got the FSM and the ATSG for the AW4.

Back