• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuel issue

swrddncr

NAXJA Forum User
88 xj 4.0 presumably stock fuel pump. Pulled it out of storage after six years. Ex-wife put it there, so I am pretty sure it was just shut in the garage and left. Pulled it out last month, changed the oil, coolant and fuel. Drained tank as far as I could and fresh gas and bottle of cleaner went in. New fuel filter as well. Nephew took it to get new tires put on and it died on the way home (no clue if he was getting squirrelly with it.) Now it won't start. Good spark. Removed ballast resister from the circuit. Opened schrader valve while cranking, steady flow. Will fire only if throttle body is primed. Once I stop cranking, you can hear the hiss of fuel flowing back into tank. Did the BMW check valve mod years ago, doesn't seem to be working anymore. But main issues, why won't it fire with fuel to the rail(have not checked pressure yet), and why would it lose its prime immediately. Oh yeah, new fuel pump relay installed today. Amy clues wise ones, I'm stumped.

"Steady flow" is not what you should be getting--it should be a spray under pressure.

Toss a fuel pressure gauge on it and post up what you get.

Had a similar problem on a '90 XJ that sat for a couple of years without being started. If I cranked for about a minute it would eventually start but would run rough. Fuel pressure gauge showed that it was taking too much time to pressurize and wasn't ever getting to full pressure. The problem turned out to be that the small hose (in the tank) that connected the fuel pump to the outlet had slipped off the outlet side. Fuel pump was spinning like a demon but whenever the pressure started to build, the hose would flex back from the outlet and spray the gas inside the tank. Easy fix once I figured it out but unfortunately, it took a while and I needlessly changed the regulator first.

I suspect this had something to do with the XJ sitting for a long time. It probably allowed the rubber hose to dry out which made it easier to slip off.

HTH
Todd

88 xj 4.0 presumably stock fuel pump. Pulled it out of storage after six years. Ex-wife put it there, so I am pretty sure it was just shut in the garage and left. Pulled it out last month, changed the oil, coolant and fuel. Drained tank as far as I could and fresh gas and bottle of cleaner went in. New fuel filter as well. Nephew took it to get new tires put on and it died on the way home (no clue if he was getting squirrelly with it.) Now it won't start. Good spark. Removed ballast resister from the circuit. Opened schrader valve while cranking, steady flow. Will fire only if throttle body is primed. Once I stop cranking, you can hear the hiss of fuel flowing back into tank. Did the BMW check valve mod years ago, doesn't seem to be working anymore. But main issues, why won't it fire with fuel to the rail(have not checked pressure yet), and why would it lose its prime immediately. Oh yeah, new fuel pump relay installed today. Amy clues wise ones, I'm stumped.

Back