• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting Hitched.................everyone's Invited!!!!!!

Rockhound

NAXJA Forum User
hitches? other than a rear bumper with a built on hitch, what kind of hitch are you guys running. which ones offer some really good strength and clearance? TIA
Rockhound

OEM XJ Class III hitch isn't that bad.... could probably be had for about $20 ~ $40 at the boneyard (just bring a BIIIIIIG breaker bar). Btw, when you put that in, take that little bracket that holds the 7 pin connector and chop it off :) If you do have a brake controller then relocate the connector, otherwise if you only use the 4 pin, don't even worry about it.

Kejtar

I've heard that the hitch reinforces the unibody to some extent. My OEM class 3 was getting really rusted on the sides where the square cross tube attached, which is where I would imagine the stresses from extreme articulation would be greatest. I'm sure all the salt they use on the roads here didn't help. My new Draw-tite fits right under the factory bumper, and I'm sure has saved it many times. I agree on the seven-pin connector- after mine broke off, I managed to stuff it between the front of the bumper and the hitch, but I will go to the 4-wire when I get a chance, since I have better vehicles for heavy towing.

I'll second the Valley Industries recommendation. Great quality, great fit, great price. :D

Back