• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clayton JJ bushing failure possible solutions??

Outlander560

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I installed a waggy 44 and I used my clayton double shear track bar. Noticed a little bit of front axle shimmy on the road.

After the install I drove about 400 miles on the high way to break everything in. Just yesterday I noticed my Johnny Joint up at the frame side was slanted I looked thinking the jam nut might have come loose it was tight then i noticed the bushing itself popped out the side of the johnny joint housing. I have had this track bar for about 2 years put about 10k miles of highway and of wheeling. The bushing its self was in solid when i took the track bar out no play what so ever. And I grease everything including the JJ every 3k miles.

SO my questions are as follows:

-was this just an age issue that caused this bushing to pop out the side?
-should I rebuild the TB JJ?
-Could the waggy 44 and all of its weight on top of the 35s been to much for the 2.5 inch JJ to handle?
-Other solutions if recommended like a heim or some other type of joint to replace the Johnny Joint?

Thanks for any and all help guys

Did the snap ring that retains the bushing just pop out? I had a good joint that I had taken apart and cleaned do that to me. Everything was fine and tight, but I must not have gotten the snap ring all the way seated. After some use, it popped out and the bushing started to push out.

i never took the JJ apart. The snap ring is still seated in the groove. The bushing literally squeezed its way through the washer 1/2 of it is still in the joint the other have is outside

Do you have a pic?

Also there is no way the larger D44 caused it as the exact same joint is used on professional race trucks. This does sound od though.

Do you have a pic?

Also there is no way the larger D44 caused it as the exact same joint is used on professional race trucks. This does sound od though.

Spoke with one of the tech guys....just wanted to put it out their it was more than likely my fault on this. i was greasing everything before my long trip up to Lake George and the manual grease gun I was using has a fixed head and it was rather difficult trying to get to the zerc fitting on the JJ. So i pulled out my pneumatic grease gun with a swivel head and greased it up. Called clayton after I bought the bushings. Spoke with one of the tech guys wish I could remember his name. Wasn't Adam and he was very helpful we both concluded it was my wrong doing this entire time! so food for thought DO NOT grease your JJ's with a pneumatic grease gun.

Oh ya, that's the first thing we tell people. NEVER grease them with an air powered grease gun because you can't feel the pressure.

Oh ya, that's the first thing we tell people. NEVER grease them with an air powered grease gun because you can't feel the pressure.

yea well ya live and ya learn....no biggy thanks again to Clayton for awesome products and quick and knowledgeable techs to fix my stupid moments

Back