• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shock Absorbers

WB9YZU

NAXJA Forum User
So I have this "Friend" with a XJ and a Rough Country Short Arm 4" lift and the N2 shocks that came with it. Seems fine off-road, but pretty stiff around town.

So... He's been thinking about changing shocks. I have a set of OMEs on mine, and I think it rides fine, but it's a long arm setup, so it's like comparing apples and oranges.

Looking around, BILSTEIN makes a set of 5100 shocks that may do the trick.
But they are expensive compared to the RC shocks he has.

But before he plops down coin for a set, I thought I'd ask what you guys use for your DD that doesn't jar your spine everything you hit a bump in your short arm lifted XJ.

Ultimately, what needs to happen is to flex/compress the front end so that you can know what length is needed.
I currently have 4" lift, 10" travel bilstein 5100s on a mid arm setup. Ride is nice. I had the 5100s on when I had my short arms. It rode fine, but would have been better with proper length lower CA's.
OME and Bilstein 5100 are on par as far as I'm concerned. Definitely do not recommend anything less.
I have raised shock mounts in the rear, so I use about a stock height shock in the rear which are monroe sensatrac's. They are good for what they are.

Depending on where you purchase them 5100s seem to be slightly lower cost, around 75$/ea. Vs the OME which are usually 80-100$.
If really content with offroad performance of current shocks. I do not see why anything better than OME or Bil 5100 would be needed.

go with a good set of mono tubes. they are not that expensive and its worth it. really really consider a set with reservoirs. Ive seen on my rig and others before the 5100s get crazy hot after a day of wheeling and a set of edelbrock monotube reservoirs stay cool all day.

perhaps look for a used set if youre worried about price. I bought a set of used 5150s at one point for 100$ on CL once. Alot of us jumped on the edelbrock ressy monotubes years ago for 65$ each(were 299$ each before they clearances them) . I am still running those same shocks now and ive beat the living snot out of them . Wow, that was like 4 or 5 years ago.

I tried cheap shocks for years, crappy white ones. I wouldn't run RC shocks personally. Night and day with a good set of monotubes and reservoirs.

Last edited:
+1 on the OME nitrochargers. i dont have anything other than stock to compare them against on my own personal jeep but they have been holding up great and rides just as well.

my OME steering stabilizer recently developed a leak however.
on the plus side ARB is cutting me a deal on a new one even though its past its 2 year warranty.

you cant go wrong with the OME, i have also had great results with bilsteins on my old VW's

Dirk at DPG offroad would be the first place i called if i was in the market for OME products...

Thanks for the responses guys! My "friend" ordered a set of 5100(s) and we'll see if that doesn't smooth out the ride a bit.

I agree that shocks with separate tanks would be cool, but this is just a DD which gets off road occasionally.

Running Fox 2.0 nitro/monotubes spec'd by BDS suspension and they have been great offroad and nice manners on windy paved roads too.

Back