• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

goin up to 5.5, what else do i need?!

1998xjspt

NAXJA Forum User
planning on moving up to 5.5in lift from my RE3.5 lift.:viking:
this is what i plan on purchasing to achieve 5.5...

-RC 2in lift shackle
http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_shackles.html

-RE XJ5.5 springs
http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.c...Rubicon-Express-Coil-Springs-MJ-XJ-5.5-ZJ-4.5

-Detours FSC's & STM's
http://www.detoursusa.com/fsc.php & http://www.detoursusa.com/xjstm.php

now, what else would i need to make my rig drivable at 5.5? i know most will say longarms longarms longarms, but i just dont have that kind of cash. i have SYE, probabally gonna need longer DC shaft, and got brakelines & adj. tracbar..but besides those, what else should i expect to need with 5.5 of lift? plan on doing this when my 31s go bald so i can move up to 33s.

thanks for any help!!

If i recall, i got my stock set up to work but would recommend doing a OAT mount and steering, Bump stops, drop brackets and adj arms. Its not as easy as throwing on springs and shackles. The list is going to grow. I went from 4.5 to 5.5 and that one inch caused me a ton of grief. :gonnablow

Steering will be at the limit - you are going to find your joints in a bind, pitman arm and right tie rod end.

Something better like CorrectLync at least, or risk popping something apart when you flex I'd say.

Might get away with it but...

......I went from 4.5 to 5.5 and that one inch caused me a ton of grief. :gonnablow

That.

no, the shackles are 2in shackles...3.5 leaves + 2in shackles = 5.5in lift..
and no sawzaw doesnt help. if i wanted to halfass i would buy blocks and sawzall to make it look big

If i recall, i got my stock set up to work but would recommend doing a OAT mount and steering, Bump stops, drop brackets and adj arms. Its not as easy as throwing on springs and shackles. The list is going to grow. I went from 4.5 to 5.5 and that one inch caused me a ton of grief. :gonnablow

whats OAT mount?

Point is there is no need for 5.5 inches to only run 33s. Trimming and bump stops will clear 33s no problem. I'm only on 4.5 inches and easily clear 35s and have plenty of flex..

If you are truly set on 5.5 I would get shackle relocation boxes and like a quality 1 inch lift shackle for the rear, those rough country ones are junk especially on the "2 inch" hole, I completely folded over a set, they are thin. You will also need drop brackets or long arms if you don't want to half ass it...

Last edited:
honestly i want to do this when my 31s go bald, i just got them so i got a while to think about what i really want to do. im thinking about just going up to 4.5 to skip the hastle of longarms and still be able to clear 33s.. 4.5 with 33s no trim, i dont want to trim at all. its my DD which gives me another reason to go 4.5 instead of 5.5...but then again i want to do it right the first time or else ill always be spending more money than i should because i wont be satisfied..if anything in the future ill just go low cog and do 4.5 and 35s or 37s on built axles? idk...what yall think? 5.5 & 33s to then after 33s buy 35s or should i go 4.5&33s then 35s after 33s go bald? need some ideas! i mainly mud and the occaisonal obstical climb over or w/e., dont really go all out on flex but it happens sometimes

Bumpstops are a must,regardless of lift, especially if you dont want to trim.

And to "do it right" You will need longarms or CAD brackets. Otherwise you are just limiting your heep.

4.5" + drop brackets + brake lines + bump stops + shocks + address steering angles somehow + sway bar links...
Then you may or may not want to upgrade brakes, because I noticed a difference even on 31s so on 33s or 35s you might feel some pain.

-steering
-drop pitman arm
-brake lines
-shocks
-sway bar links ( if your running them )
-tranfer case drop brackets or sye
-bigger tire to fill the void
-gears for the bigger tires
-lockers while your in there
-chromo axles for the bigger tires

VICIOUS CYCLE STARTS HERE

**** 5.5. if im goin 5.5 i wanna do it righ and go all out. and when im at 5.5 im gonna wanna go .5 more just to say im at 6 and be satisfied so nope. 4.5 is what im aiming for now.

4.5 is safe. cheaper. easier to manage steering issues. currie steering is the way i would go at 4.5". just make sure your track bar is the same angle. if all your bushings are tight, youll be fine. 31" tires roll nice with stock gearing.

Back