• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The start of my expeditionish build.

littlebill86

NAXJA Forum User
So I am pretty new to this board but I have already found it to be very informative and the member seem to be willing to help with anything which is hard to find on any forum thank you to the members that helped diagnose my running problems. I bought this XJ for $1300 about two months ago and notice happened right away. Finally got it running with a new fuel pump and now it's all happy. Now it's time to start my list of mods. It's already lifted with a Dana44 rear axle and a slip yoke eliminator. I acquired a Detroit locker for free from my boss so in the next week or so that will go in. Today we started the build of my new rear bumper. Here are the progress pics from today. We will soon be adding a double swing out carrier (it will split In the middle)
ejyjeza2.jpg
e5edyse3.jpg
atyte5am.jpg
ame6ubam.jpg
usahydu9.jpg

yesterday was a full day of fab work. i added onto my rear bumper with a tire carrier, i bought the hinges from comp4x4.com, which are a very nice product. the whole carrier is built with 2x2 3/8's wall tube. i used a double locking latch in the middle. I will be adding a box to the left side swing out that will hold three spectre cans. onto the pictures.

Too early to really tell where you're going with this rig, but that's a pretty cool idea for a bumper, good start! Definitely tie that bumper into the frame, the stock points are nowhere near strong enough.

Now you say expedition(ish) build, but is this going to be a run around JV or another relatively small confined area with a group of other jeeps for a while kind of rig, or more of a long distance and duration expedition rig?

A true expedition rig you're going to want a lot more tools, fluids, spare parts, and camping/survival gear, and not just lift and bumpers. Also I consider dual, disconnectable batteries, good quality on board air, and decent sized power inverter as neccessities.

I've done my fair share of expedition wheeling, and I know DrMoab has done a lot more, feel free to ask questions!

I have my on board air system I just need to do the install. I have only had this jeep for a couple months so not much progress has been made yet. I want to be able to take the jeep on long trips for sure get it out and go camping and find new places.

Back