• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

93 stroker engine in 99

Truckedup

NAXJA Forum User
A guy has a good deal on a 1993 4.0 stroker engine. I have a 99 XJ.....Will this engine bolt right in? Besides fuel injection-engine electronic issues,will all the 99 accessories bolt up including intake and exhaust ? thanks.

Any XJ 1990-2001 engine block will interchange.

Remove and re-use as needed or required from your original engine:
Intake/Exhaust manifolds, flex plate/flywheel, cylinder head, distributor-less ignition or distributor assembly, engine sensors, fan belt driven accessories and mounting brackets.

So I have to use the 1999 head? The engine is a disassembled complete long block.

I've posted about my experience with this exact situation before. In summary, it's pretty straight forward.

I just swapped a 93 into a 99 this summer ( my 99 is pre distributor-less ignition like your 98 ).

You probably have a 7120 head on the 94 and an 0630 on the 98 which means you just need to block off the extra coolant temp sensor hole that is not needed in your 98. It's pretty simple to spot where the sensor hole is located when you can compare the heads side-by-side. In my case, my 93 engine still had the temp sensor threaded into the head so I just left it in there to block it off (unplugged of course).

I just swapped over everything that can unbolt from the 99 long-block onto the 93 long-block. Manifolds, accessory brackets, distributor and dizzy, plugs, wires etc etc etc. Upon close inspection, my 99 had slightly different engine mount brackets than the 93, so again, swap over everything that unbolts from the head/engine and bring it over to the replacement head/engine. There is nothing to consider regarding electronics (OBD-I to OBD-II etc) because you will be retaining as much as you can from the 98. This is a purely mechanical swap.

My 93 donor engine came from an auto-trans XJ. My 99 recipient XJ has a manual-trans. When the donor and recipient do not have the same tranny, then you need to get a new pilot bearing to match the recipient transmission. No biggie, you should probably get a new pilot bearing while you're in there anyway. Just buy a pilot bearing that was made for your 98. I didn't have the proper tool to pull the old pilot bearing, so I just used an old trick to get it out.. which is to pack the air-pocket behind the pilot bearing with grease and then find a rod that is the same diameter as the inside of the pilot bearing. Put the rod in the pilot bearing and whack the end of it with a hammer such that the grease pushes the pilot bearing out from behind.

My swap turned out perfectly and has been running well for months. I had never pulled an engine before this and I easily got it done during a long-weekend. I haven't noticed any difference in power. In my case, I do notice the 93 engine is slightly harsher/coarser and I think that's because the older (pre 96) engines didn't have the main crank girdle that was added to "eliminate noise, harshness, and vibration". If you drop the oil pan on both engines, you can swap the girdle from the 98 to the 94 engine so long as you also swap crank bolts as well (they are longer). As an FYI (not pertinent to the swap), the older engines (pre 96) having steel pistons whereas the 98 would have alloy pistons (might be why the newer engines peak torque is at 2k rpm vs 3k rpm for the older engines).

My 93 engine to 99 XJ swap was not that hard and there was very little to consider. Get new engine mounts while yer at it.

I'll try to attach some pics (not mine)...

girdle that you can swap from your 98 to the 94 (optional):
crank_8551_resized.jpg

temp sensor that you no longer need:
IMAG0101.jpg

pilot bearing (shown with flywheel on):
78.jpg

Last edited:
No problem!

All the best recovering from the fires in your area. It's making headline news here in Canada. We are dealing with the opposite.. floods, but fortunately we have not suffered as much loss of life.

The first one was right across the road from me on Granite Mountain. The same hotshots who lost their lives in Yarnell, saved numerous homes in my area. True heroes.

Your 99 has different connectors for all of the sensors, so you will need to swap your 99's throttle body with all of its sensors(swap the intake manifold while you're at it), distributor w/ cam sensor, oil pressure sensor, coolant temp sensor at t-stat housing, and crank sensor(connector at the fuel rail by firewall). You will use your 99 fuel rail and probably have to buy 24#@49psi ev6 connector injectors(~22.5#@43.5psi). You will leave the 93's obd1 dash-gauge temp sender on the driver's side back of head unplugged(99 gets the info from the cts@t-stat).

Last edited:
Thanks for the great replies. I've swapped a few engines ,usual hot rod stuff,but nothing with sensors and electronics.Looks like a piece of cake.

Back