• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dome lights won't turn off!

XjZack

NAXJA Forum User
Hello
I went 4 wheeling yesterday and all the doom lights came on and the check gauges light came on to but when you gave it gas the check gauges light went off. so on the trail i checked the door switches and they still stayed on. 30min later on the trail they went off for around 1 hr then came back. when i got home i checked the door switches the head light switch and pulled all the fuse's for the doom lights. when i pulled all 3 fuse's for the doom lights they still all stayed on . the check gauges light is off now
http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...tification.htm
I don't know if this matters On Saturday i had some exhaust work done and one of the things they did was welded a hanger to the frame.

The way the dome lights work on many XJ's is, the light is always hot (always under power) and the switches ground the circuit. Many possibilities for places for the wiring ground out, including right behind the door switch. When/if you install a new door switch on many XJ's you have to hold the plunger still and just twist the nut, if you twist both at once (the nut and the plunger) the wires wind up into a coil, stretch, stress and may even break. Many other possibilities for chaffing, rub throughs and short to ground in those wires.

On early XJ's the wiring for the dome lights was run under the carpet, drivers side mostly (but other places under the carpet also) and laid in a soup of wet carpet padding and corrosion. In late models they tucked the wiring up a little, but it is still vulnerable. Not the first place I'd look, but something to keep in mind if other searches prove fruitless.

Back