• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Frame Stiffner for Full Traction

chris420

NAXJA Forum User
I have had a hard time finding a frame stiffner that would work with the Full Traction kit that I curently have on my Jeep. I did not want to plate the unibody as I would have needed to open the holes in the unibody for the Full Traction brackets to fit back on and they may not fit back on at all as the unibody would be wider than before. So I decided to use 1.75 OD Tubing to build a subframe that will run from leaf spring bracket to Full Traction controll arm mounts. I am no were near done yet but here is the begining. I plan on this being the fondation for everything such as a new set of Rockrails, Skid plate and roll cage.

I spent some time this weekend adding to the project. I added the rear leaf spring hanger stiffner. The hanger will be a lot stiffer now especally after I add a gusset for support.

Last edited:
Have you thought about the T&J (I think) stiffies?

Have you thought about the T&J (I think) stiffies?

I am duplicating their design with larger tubing and specific needs for my rig. I have made an extra mounting point to the spring hanger as well. I will be incorporating rack rails, removable skid plate and roll cage mounting points.

I have the templates made for the plates that will go around the spring hanger area. I am going to make plates that will be welded to the unibody rails also. I was also thinking about mounts for rock lights.

I have the full traction kit over TNT frame stiffeners.

Fit with no problems.

I have the full traction kit over TNT frame stiffeners.

Fit with no problems.

Did you have the FT lift on before or after you installed the TNT frame stiffeners?

Put them on at the same time.

I wish I did that. If I put the TNT frame stiffeners on now I would need to make the mounting holes in the Unibody larger and would risk a not so solid mount that could cause the bracket to shift. I here great things about the TNT setup from fab shops around here so I hope my set up works just as good. The last Rubicon trip put my doors out of alignment and I needed to use shims to align the body lines.

I'm not sure how similar the FT kit is, but my re long arms were on before frame stiffening. I welded the upper control arm brackets to the unibody and then made stiffeners in front and behind them out of 3/16" 3"x3" angle. Left a 1/2" gap to get a good bead to the unibody and then slapped a fishplate over the seam. The skid plate/crossmember is still fully remove able, no extra metal under the mounting brackets, less work than pulling it all apart, and only about $40 in steel. Doing it this way made the pieces so short you could probably dig through the cuts at the steel yard and get it done for less than $10.

I thought of that as well but was concerned about excessive heat on the unibody in one location. Most frames and or unibody are heat treated and from what I understand putting a lot of heat in one area will weaken the steel strength. I was also not sure if the stiffeners were multiple peaces of steel would they be as strong as one peace.

I thought of that as well but was concerned about excessive heat on the unibody in one location. Most frames and or unibody are heat treated and from what I understand putting a lot of heat in one area will weaken the steel strength. I was also not sure if the stiffeners were multiple peaces of steel would they be as strong as one peace.

I woudln't be too worried about that. Correct in theory, but when you're talking about frame stiffeners, you're spreading the load out over a lot of weld.

I've got the FT system on mine and have had it since 2005. I just recently added the TNT stiffeners. I was also pretty concerned about how it would all fit together after adding the 3/16" metal behind the mounts. It turned out it wasn't that big of an issue. The lca mount is now bolted thru 3/16" metal and the stock frame. The uca mount required a little more work, but it was mostly just adding a 1"x3/16" strip of metal to space out the mount where it bolts to the stock "frame" lip (the 3 small bolts) and then opening up the 2 holes for the 2 larger bolts that bolt thru the lca mount into the frame. The 2 bolts that bolt to the cross member were not affected at all. What you've done really seems like it should add strength to the lca mounts as well as stiffen the frame up.

I am getting close to finishing this project and should be done in two weeks. Below is some of the progress I have made. Here is the frame stiffner complete and ready to bolt on.

Last edited:
Here is a closer look at the mounting point for the front rear spring hanger.

I am replacing the Hiems and Johney Joints that were on the Full Traction LCA's with Metal Cloak Duraflex Joints. Below is a picture of the LCA with no joints.

Here is the LCA with Metal Cloak Dura Flex Joints istalled set at 32 1/4 inches eye to eye ready for install.

@chris. Digging the blend of both style stiffeners. Got an installed pic? Does it replace the rocker?

Back