• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rough Country 6.5" long arm - first impressions

blistovmhz

NAXJA Forum User
So my 98xj's previous owner was an idiot. He installed a Rubicon Express 4.5" short arm kit (presumably very drunk) and forgot to tighten anything, thus everything wore out by the time I bought it. I didn't have garage space to fix everything and I'd decided to just leave it until one of the many issues caused a failure, forcing me to rebuild/upgrade. Well, the trac-bar bushing wore out and I installed a new set, but the mount holes were lobed bad and then the shock mounts all failed simultaneously so I decided to give everything a closer look. Found pretty much everything was worn to the point that it was going to cost me near a grand to repair, and my history with RE is not good (shit support since they got bought out). I took this as an opportunity to look at other kits.
Looked at a few different options and ultimately went with the Rough Country 6.5" long arm kit (full) for $1400 or so. I know other options may have been a better idea, but RC's warranty is stellar and I've dealt with their support in the past and they've never driven me to homocide/seppuku, so here we are. Ordered my new kit, it shipped and arrived within' 4 days, and I installed it on the gravel in my alley with some really sketchy stands.

Installation:
Installation was nowhere near as smooth as I'd expected, but most of this was due to the previous owners idiocy. Every bolt took 20x longer to remove than it should have. Aside from tearing apart my Jeep, the kit itself had a few issues.
First and most annoying was the new cross member. The bolt holes are drilled with ****ing machine precision to fit the supplied bolts. This would be fantastic if I was installing on a brand new Jeep where the Unibody was still in perfect shape. As it is though, 15 years of abuse has twisted the frame slightly, which made aligning the holes impossible. I could get one or two bolts in, but the rest were out between 0.5 and 2mm. To compound this issue, the new crossmember uses the two bolt holes forward of the stock crossmember, that were never used for anything. They are of course, completely rusted out and I'll bet that's the same deal on every existing XJ that's left the showroom. It would've been easier to drill and access hole forward of the crossmember, and use a flag nut instead. My stock frame nuts were both rusted out and one stripped, so I'll have to either do as I proposed above, or weld the CM to the frame.
That aside, there was still no way to perfectly align the holes in the CM to the Jeep, so I had to enlarge 3 of the 6 holes on the CM by 1/32. Not a biggy I suppose.

Next, and I can't complain too much about this, but I wanted to mention it as perhaps RC's changed their kits... But there was extra hardware. They say specifically to reuse the stock LCA axle bolts, but there are definitely two new ones included. I couldn't figure out what grade they were so didn't use them, but I'll call RC to find out cause I really need them.

Otherwise, all the installation issues I've heard from others, didn't affect me. Lots of stories about hardware missing, brake lines not being long enough, parts that should be in the kit but aren't (or are optional when they're necessary). I certainly didn't have missing hardware, the brake lines are almost too long (my old lines were long enough so I haven't installed the new ones, but old ones are 4" shorter and still more than long enough), and everything I'd expect to come with the kit arrived.

Installation took about 18 hours over 3 days. Had my Jeep already been apart and the CM had fit properly, I'm sure it could have been done in 5 hours (with air tools).

Alignment:
No idea yet. The instructions tell you how long to set your control arms, but I'm sure they must be off a little bit as my caster is a bit under now, and steering isn't returning fast at half turn, and not at all at full turn. I'm sure this is a simple matter of extending the uppers 1/16 to 1/8. Everything else aligned nicely. I hear a lot of guys saying the specs result in having to put a lot of force into the axle to get the uppers to line up together, but "you're doing it wrong". If you have to twist the axle to get the uppers on, you've done something wrong and you're destroying your bushings with that preload. Adjust one to suit your camber, and adjust the other so it fits without any preload.
Toe in stayed deadly, which I suppose is to be expected. The new trac-bar installation was easy as I just set the Jeep on mostly level ground and the long arms and the new springs pretty much centered the body just fine without any intervention on my part.

Road test:
On road:
On road performance is, thus far, a little squishy. It's definitely much smoother than my 4.5" short arm as the short arms were sitting near 45 degrees, which translates into 50% of road energy being transmitted into the springs, while the other 50% goes directly into the frame. This is bad. The new long arms sit about 8 degress from parallel, which translates into about 90% spring and 10% frame. Much better.
But, it's definitely squishy. The 6.5" coils were not 2" longer than my 4.5" coils. They were nearly 4" longer. This means a much higher spring rate in the coils, which results in the Jeep wanting to flex everywhere. Steering is tight but feels somewhat dream like. Think about how driving a cloud would feel. This is a close approximation.
That said, it did handle not too bad on road. With my 4.5", I could drive down the highway carefully, with my swaybar disconnected. With the LA kit, not a chance. It was terrifying enough driving around the block without swaybar.

Off Road:
And here's where it matters. My old lift performed quite well despite it's age and poor installation. I'd tuned it as best I could and it outperformed a lot of other XJ's with other short arm kits by a large margin. My tires are almost bald but I was able to climb stuff on the first try, that other XJ's were taking 3 or 4 runs at. With the new LA kit, there's just no comparison. My buddy spent almost 5 minutes trying to climb a burm out of the river. When he finally got over, I threw the XJ in 4L and first, and let it just crawl at idle over the burm. No tire spin at all, just a nice slow crawl.
The articulation of this kit is impressive as all hell (especially for the price). The first real flex test here:
IMG_20130518_164630.jpg

While this isn't a crazy flex or anything, I posted it to give reference. The above wasn't even a consideration for the kit. I left it in 4L and it crawled up without any help from me, and did so with no engine strain. It felt like my driver front just lifted itself up pre-emptively to stand on the rock. The real test of course is body roll on a flex, so here's that:
IMG_20130518_164620.jpg

So how much body roll is this? No. Just no. Didn't even feel the climb. I was actually real surprised when I stopped and opened the door, because I didn't think I was that high off the ground.

Long short for the OR test, I've never seen or heard of a kit that will perform this well for the dollar. Off road, I'd pit this kit against almost anything else for twice the price.

Summation:
I've heard a lot of horror stories about the kit being incomplete, about brake lines being too short, about bushings wearing out immediately, and the flex joints eating themselves in under 500km. My experience thus far has been different and I suspect I know why people have had issues with the flex joints and bushings.

The kit was complete, brake lines are almost too long, the rear leaves seem a little small, but I've got at least 600lbs of tools in the back so maybe that's normal, and I'm pretty sure there were two issues with bushings/flex joints.
First, RC did acknowledge an issue with a few runs of their bushings and flex joints due to a bad poly mix. They claim to have fixed this. Everyone I've found who was affected, was given new bushings and flex joints without any hassle.
Second, I strongly suspect people are just preloading their bushings a bunch. Nearly every thread were someone's complained about bushing/flexjoint wear, they also describe issues aligning the upper control arms and using a comealong to force it into place. BAAAD idea. Perhaps the instructions are a bit off on the lengths. I just adjusted my drivers upper out by 2 turns and it the bolt just fell into the hole without any force required. I was originally worried about the joints, but after installing and realising what everyone else was doing wrong, I'm not so worried. The flex joints are enormous. Hell, the whole kit seems a bit heavier duty than is necessary for 3400lbs of Jeep. I guess I'll see in a few months if everything holds up.

I will say this. The supplied 2.2 shocks don't feel as good as my old RE remotes, or even my shitty Zone Offroad fronts. Jeep definitely feels a bit bouncier than I'd like, but at the same time it's a very soft bounce (not like a newer pickup where you hit the roof every time you run over a squirrel). One of my fellow wheelers girlfriends was getting sick in his truck from all the bounce. She hopped into mine and I drove over a rock garden/river (average rock is about 10" diameter) at about 40km/h and she said it felt much better than her BF's truck at 5km/h.

All in all, RC should seriously reconsider their CM bolt holes, provide better instructions, and possible do something about their shocks. For the price though, I can't imagine being upset. I'll probably write my own installation instructions and forward them to RC and hopefully they'll either fix the CM bolt holes and figure out the drivers upper length cause it's clearly not correct.

*edit* I forgot to mention that the CM install was even more of a biatch because the transmission mount was about 1/4" to the right of the holes on the CM. RC support told me this was both annoying and expected, and to install the CM first, then drop the transmission down into it while putting some lateral pressure on the transmission. This worked, but I think it may be putting a little strain on my engine mounts. Not a biggy as I've got bombproof mounts that'll probably outlive humanity. Just a consideration RC might want to make.

Hope you're joking about welding in the crossmember, or you will need a plasma cutter to work on the transmission or transfer case.
And you want to shorten the upper control arms to increase caster.

I agree with you, Rough Country is much maligned, but I have been more than satisfied with their products and you can't beat their customer service.

Hope you're joking about welding in the crossmember, or you will need a plasma cutter to work on the transmission or transfer case.
And you want to shorten the upper control arms to increase caster.

I agree with you, Rough Country is much maligned, but I have been more than satisfied with their products and you can't beat their customer service.

I was thinking of welding the cross member to the additional side supports as they add another three two decent size bolts. I wouldn't weld the entire assembly to the frame :p.
I've no idea which direction is positive or negative caster. Too many Jeep people with too many opposite answers :p. I always though positive caster would be top knuckle in front of the lower knuckle. Is this wrong?

As for support, I've never had a problem with them, and I've had a tonne of problems with Rubicon Express. RE was great until they got bought out. Shortly after though, they refused to honour warranty on anything and they couldn't tell me if they had replacement bushings for anything. A few weeks ago it seems things got a little better, and they were at least able to tell me which bushings I needed, but they only had the tracbar bushing, and nothing for the control arms, shocks, or discos. So, I gave up and went RC. We'll see how it holds up, but thus far I'm certainly not unimpressed for the price.
Also, I keep saying "for the price" which makes it sound like "crap, but at least it's cheap" but this really isn't the case.
I'm actually very impressed with the beefiness of the kit. The crossmember and t-case skid are 1/4" steel and the control arms look to be indestructably thick. The control arm angles are excellent and provide way better clearance than any straight long arm conversion as they ride at about 8 degrees from horizontal until about 4" behind the tire (31") where they bend down to the lower axle mounts. This was a very good call and pretty much eliminates any clearance issues normally found in other kits. I can't imagine paying MORE for a straight lower long arm.
I'm still a bit worried about the flex joints as I don't know for sure that the problem was fixed or caused by improper installation, but I suspect one or the other or both. They're big enough to fit a midgets entire fist into the socket, and they're adjustable tension so you can just tighten them up as they wear. I think you'd have to bork the installation pretty bad to mess these joints up.

The articulation was far better than I'd expected, but I haven't driven a lot of LA lifted vehicles for comparison. Looking at other LA lifts, I decided I'd be happy if I got 80% the articulation but I think I got easily closer to 100% when compared to most $2400 kits. I've never experienced the ease of crawling onto a rock that big like I did with this kit.

Again, time will tell, but aside from the poorly thought out CM bolt holes and possibly a tad light on the rear leafs, I really don't have any complaints thus far. I drove the hell out of it over May long, had the front end off the ground quite a few times pulling out of burms from the river, forced it to climb a 2.5" vertical road divider with absolutely zero finesse on my part (and without airing down), and tried (unsuccessfully) to get myself hung up on the Long Arms to see how they'd slide (but just coudln't get hung up because of the excellent angles used).

I was thinking of welding the cross member to the additional side supports as they add another three two decent size bolts.

The side supports are separate for ease of installation. Lift that heavy duty crossmember back up a few times after working on the transfer case and try to line up all of the bolt holes. You'll appreciate why they don't come as one unit.

The side supports are separate for ease of installation. Lift that heavy duty crossmember back up a few times after working on the transfer case and try to line up all of the bolt holes. You'll appreciate why they don't come as one unit.

Heh. they didn't all line up regardless, so I expanded three of the bolt holes by 1/32 or so. I'll be pulling it all apart again here this week to apply anti-seize/loctite/grease wherever needed, so I'll get a better idea of how well it goes back together.

The problem was mostly that the previously unused frame nut furthest forward on the driver side stripped right through with very little torque. I have to either cut into the frame to remove the old frame nut and add a new one, or weld something to something else. I imagine I can get away with just the 4 bolts on the driver side instead of all 5, but with the abuse I throw at Jeepy, I'd be more comfortable doing something about it.

Suggestions other than cutting frame and installing a new frame nut or welding the skid plate to the side plates?

Some shots to show ride height:
IMG_20130518_090325.jpg

IMG_20130518_090335.jpg

21329_10152884578625002_1855367679_n.jpg

935629_10152884580335002_1349077948_n.jpg

971392_10152884581375002_629849839_n.jpg

480118_10152884596540002_1002690578_n.jpg

933997_10152884597700002_769205501_n.jpg

969376_10152884598265002_1652373973_n.jpg

942976_10152884578100002_1380442230_n.jpg

310196_10152884582945002_203731122_n.jpg

Still tonnes of lower arm clearance. That last inch and a half between the arm and the frame translates into about 9 inches of axle travel which is well beyond where my little 31's would run into the top of the wheel well.

Has anyone mentioned this yet? You will need to drop the entire crossmember and disconnect your long arms to remove the front drive shaft, should anything happen to it on the trail. That right there made me not want the kit. Sorry if it's already been mentioned but this is a long thread and I don't have time to read it right this second. I also had the same alignment issues with the trans mount that you did when I helped a friend with this kit R&R his tcase.

Last edited:
IMG_20130521_151542.jpg

Maybe something's changed with the design, but I don't see any problem getting in there to pull the four bolts to remove the front DS. I took this while swinging a ratchet around to make sure there was clearance, and had no issue pulling the bolts. If I was to remove the front DS, I might pull the T-case skid plate, but it's certainly not necessary. As for the CM and arms, not a chance. Tonnes of clearance to work. I checked this out before I bought as well :)

Im installing the 4.5 kit right now. I found that the pass side frame nuts had let go. So im in the process of fixing that. I have stiffeners that are a little over 1/8 thick and im going to cut out the area that the 3 bolts would of been. I took a plate of 3/16th and im going to weld new bigger 7/16th nuts to that and weld that to the stiffeners as well as the frame with rosette welds. Way better then stock when its done.

Has anyone mentioned this yet? You will need to drop the entire crossmember and disconnect your long arms to remove the front drive shaft, should anything happen to it on the trail. That right there made me not want the kit. QUOTE]

For some reason, I doubt that you have ever seen this kit in person. It is very easy to remove the front driveshaft without dropping or disconnecting anything.

Has anyone mentioned this yet? You will need to drop the entire crossmember and disconnect your long arms to remove the front drive shaft, should anything happen to it on the trail. That right there made me not want the kit.

For some reason, I doubt that you have ever seen this kit in person. It is very easy to remove the front driveshaft without dropping or disconnecting anything.

i have bigger arms than you then. I had it on and off twice over a weekend and there was no way in hell I could get my arm in there. how are you fitting a ratchet with a socket on the bolts holding the shaft to the tcase? I've never been able to do it and have always had to use a box wrench.

If I was to remove the front DS, I might pull the T-case skid plate, but it's certainly not necessary. As for the CM and arms, not a chance.

not sure how removing the tcase skid plate would have anything to do with removing the front drive shaft since it bolts to the back of the crossmember behind the tcase. perhaps the design of this kit changed since the one I was in contact with was made.

To get the front driveshaft off i use a 1/4 drive ratchet and Socket. Ive never had a problem. I have seen the rough country kit in person. Its nicer than i expected it to be. There are better kits out there but for the money its a good kit. The only problem i have heard was the joints were crap. Supposedly rc fixed that. Other have swapped jj's in place of the rc joints. And rc has always taken care of me when i call with failed parts or tech questions. One of the better vendors when it come to cs

To get the front driveshaft off i use a 1/4 drive ratchet and Socket. Ive never had a problem. I have seen the rough country kit in person. Its nicer than i expected it to be. There are better kits out there but for the money its a good kit. The only problem i have heard was the joints were crap. Supposedly rc fixed that. Other have swapped jj's in place of the rc joints. And rc has always taken care of me when i call with failed parts or tech questions. One of the better vendors when it come to cs

I addressed the flex-joint problem in the first post I believe. I think there were two problems.
1. Bad poly in the older flex joints. RC said this was fixed early this year.
2. Improper installation. Everyone I've talked to who's had issues has told me how they installed, and it's usually wrong. They either torque the hell out of the retainer ring during assembly of the joint, or they're preloading the arms to the axle because the instructions tell you to set the uppers the same length, which won't work. I had one guy saying he used a come-along to force the driver side upper into place, then complained a week later when his joints were shot :p.

Now I've never seen this failure in person, but I suspect I'm not wrong in the above :). EVERYONE with issues had preload, or torqued on the retainer ring, or both. I think RC fixing the issue by issuing a harder poly for the joint is just them being ridiculously generous.

I own almost every gear wrench they make aside from the floppy flex head ones, as I stated I can't get my arms in there.

I own almost every gear wrench they make aside from the floppy flex head ones, as I stated I can't get my arms in there.

lol... We are either not communicating at all, or we are working on very different vehicles. I just walked barefoot in the dark through rattlesnake infested driveway to look at mine again. My bolts fit through the holes in the tcase yoke and thread into the holes in the double cardan portion of the cv driveshaft. The bolt heads are behind the crossmember and there is a good two inches of space before you get to the tcase housing.

Back