• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Control arm questions

kvpracing

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 lifted 6 inches. Can I get away with just lower control arms or do I need both upper and lower after markets?
Or should I just buy lower relators?

6in I would do both upper and lower. 6in of lift and larger tires is a lot of stress for a piece of folded sheet metal

Will need uppers and lowers and drop brackets or go long arms IMO.
X2!
My XJ rode like a POS, when at 4" or higher, until installing the dropped brackets.
Definitely get adjustable upper and lower CAs, you are going to need them both for the strength and ability to get the alignment geometry dialed in.

At that height I would totally go with long arms. Yes,adjustable CA's +drop brackets will work. But if bought new cost about the same as a long arm setup.

I've gone this route.. 4 inch, 5 inch, then 7 1/4 inch lift. Anything over 4 inches should be long arm and NOT using stock upper control arm mounts. Either go equal arm length, long arm kit like BDS's or 3 link like RE's. Unequal length control arms is a nightmare of problems, like binding when lifting one tire. suspension diving when stopping quickly. The caster changes, when cycling the suspension, is just unreal and causes the coils to bow out on suspension compression, you end up with the effect of very soft springs that bottom out too easily. These extreme castor changes also causes the u-joints on the front drive shaft to bind as well as you end up at 30 degrees or more of angle on compression... do it right the first time. I spent a small fortune correcting these issues once I found out after spending money on parts I just ended up replacing to fix all the problems I created.

Just my opinion though... ;)

Last edited:
I'm on ~7" of lift with RE superflex fixed lowers and stock uppers, but that setup is just temporary till I save up the cash for long arms.
You have drop brackets tho..

Back