• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hydraulic PTO project

Vince

NAXJA Forum User
My '93 XJ is going into semi-retirement as a 'Farm Jeep'. It's got a 5" lift, 4.56 gears and 33x12.50 tires and is ideal for the forestry work I need to do at home except for one thing - no PTO. I have some woodland at the bottom of the hill and the track down there is roughly a 1 in 3 grade on mud and wet rock. It's narrow and has limited overhead clearance due to tree cover. It's too tight and steep for my old 4wd back-hoe without causing damage and the Jeep gets up and down there with a small trailer usually without a problem which is why it's become a Farm Jeep.

I have been thinking about putting a hydraulic PTO on the Jeep to accept standard 6-spline shaft driven implements. I removed the air-conditioning compressor from the XJ some years ago. It was R22 or some other banned type of freon and too expensive to convert so I put an idler wheel in from a non AirCon model. I am thinking that I could now replace the idler wheel with an electric clutch hydraulic pump on a custom made bracket and run some hydraulic lines to a hydraulic PTO motor mounted on the rear bumper.

I would also like to make a Ferguson style 3-point lift for carrying implements so I am expecting to have to make a new rear bumper and possibly a split drop down tailgate and zip-up window in a new reinforced frame to stop the body twisting with the hatch removed. The 3-point lift will be mounted to the load bay floor.

My intention is to have a PTO output between 13hp and 25hp depending on the cost of the equipment. I have priced up the 13hp parts and it is definitely more affordable than buying a used 2wd tractor. A 25hp PTO would permit me to use any implement I need, a field mower, saw mill, log splitter, generator, irrigation pump...

Has anyone else made their XJ into a Farm Jeep with PTO and a 3-point lift?
http://www.farmjeep.com/

It will be a winter project as I don't use the Jeep much between November and March. I have been trying to find out how much horsepower the air-conditioning compressor used. I'm wondering if it's asking too much of the serpentine belt to drive a hydraulic pump that's going to consume 16 to 30 horsepower. Perhaps an additional crankshaft pulley is the way to go instead.

I was thinking of doing the exact same thing, but using a trans mounted PTO pump. Are you worried about how much more the rear suspension is going to move around compared to a tractors? A couple companies make 3 point hitches for ATV's that i was think of modeling mine after

i know its been done, i saw an old jeep truck with the box removed and a full backhoe with out riggers. and i have seen older transfer cases with pto, no idea what ones though... it does sound like a great project though, good luck~

You could get a PTO for the NP205. Problem as I see it is when it can be active - I'm not sure if you can run it without moving the vehicle. Hopefully someone else knows. Also, it's only available stock with 27, 32, and coarse 10 spline inputs AFAIK.

I see no reason you couldn't put a hydro PTO where the AC compressor went - like you said, fab up a bracket and you should be good to go. The 3 bolts that mount the stock bracket to the engine are 3/8-16 and there is also one that goes through the timing cover. I forget what diameter it is, it may be metric.

Why not run the pto straight off the crank like garbage trucks do

I too would be concerned about the serp belt moving that much power

The early CJs had that option available. It was a bolt on.

There are some which run their winch, and some a plow ram off the steering pump, so installing a second pump for the purpose of PTO isn't out of the question.

As far as whether the belt would take it.
Consider this:
A stock alternator can draw 5-10hp from the engine.
Same with a stock mechanical fan.

I don't think there would be an issue.

Seems like a cool idea and it sounds like the concept is there.
I used my old 86' to pull felled trees out of the woods in the winter so they could be cut and loaded into a pickup. Worked awesome for the same reason you've been using yours to go in and out with a trailer instead of using a tractor.
Once I used it to pull a gelled up tractor out of the woods. That was interesting.

The early CJs had that option available. It was a bolt on.
I just sold my CJ3B with Overdrive/PTO output to raise funds for my Utah XJ. My 20 year old XJ is practically worthless over here in the U.K. and more capable of climbing my hill than the CJ was.

Are you worried about how much more the rear suspension is going to move around compared to a tractors?
I was planning on using air-spring load assist if it needed it. I don't have them yet, but my cousin fitted a pair of them on his old Land Rover for towing heavy loads and they worked well.

A couple companies make 3 point hitches for ATV's that i was think of modeling mine after
Thanks. I will have a look too.

Back