• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear end possibly going out

Gnarlyrider27

NAXJA Forum User
So yesterday I was talking on the phone and I pushed on my left rear tire and it clonked. So I went to the other side and it did the same thing but not as bad. So this morning I jacked it up to see how much play there was and there is a lot on the drive side and normal on the passenger side. The kid I bought it from swapped out the Dana 35 for the Chrysler 8 1/4 and clams it has a locker in it but I think it has the Anit-spin assembly in it. But with the jeep up in the air and in part I can spin the driver side tire 4 times before it locks. And as I spin it I hear a clicking noise. With it in neutral and ever tire I spin it takes like 2 turns before the other side starts and still clicks. The clicking is pretty loud cause I have music playing and I live right off the HWY and can hear it prefect. Although when I drive it I can't hear a thing because its so loud. I dont really want to drive it much more because my last 92 xj I had I lost the left axle going around a turn and messed up a lot of things. I also dont have much time or money to go into. Just had to buy gear for work and all that so will be a week before I can really do anything.

And I do have a Dana 35 that has no play in it but its on the 90 and I plan on selling it very soon and I prefer to have the Chrysler 8 1/4 in mine. Would really like to have a Dana 44 but everyone around here wants a arm and a leg for then.

Cool story, what is your question?

I'm not sure what is up but it sounds like either normal c-clip behavior or some abnormal wear. You are going to have to pop the cover on the diff to find out either way... take some pics.

Well the rear end just locked up tight. Thank god I have a tow truck, and wasn't far from home or going to fast. So looks like I get to try and find a rear end for cheap.

Ok so question about my lift kit. I have the 4.5 Rough Country Jeep Cherokee XJ / 4.5" N2.0 Series Suspension Lift Kit. I just looked at this stock 90 xj and my 92 and they have the same track bar mounts on the frame. Shouldn't I have a drop bracket on mine? Note I didn't do the lift. I bought it with it on it and trying to fix all the BS the kid did to the jeep. But looking at the kit online doesnt have the drop bracket but looking at a different site I can buy the bracket. Now if things go right and I can get this job I am hoping to get I just need the jeep to last me like 6 months tell I can buy a brand new truck then I plan on doing full long arm kit, coil conversion on the rear. dual case's and all that. Might go as far as building a custom frame for it. Going to make it to were it will no longer be street legal but I just need it safe for now.

Back