• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

35-37" after D44/9" axle swap?

koolaid5

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I'm finishing up my LA upgrade and swapping in my locked D44/9" with 4.88's. I currently have 33" MTZ's that I bought when the '92 XJ was still my DD. It is now primarily a trail rig, but will see some street time to/from the trails. I'm debating whether I should go with 35 or 37" tires. I love my MTZ's, but I'm also considering going with something more aggressive. A tire that is great in the mud and on rocks, but isn't completely horrible on the road.

Suggestions???

Stock shafts? I'd go no larger than 35s. Modern mud terrains perform great offroad and ride great on the pavement. Only gripe I have is sidewall strength but it hasn't proved to be a real issue. As for a more aggressive option I am a huge fan of maxxis creepy crawlers. Great traction offroad, they ride good on the street, and have a real strong carcass. The one thing I don't like Bout them is their tendency To be a little ballooned at street pressures and they wear fairly quick. They are the only tire I have ever run more than one set of, and I'm on my third set.

I sure have seen the MTZ's perform good in the rocks.

I would suggest the bogger as long as you aren't driving on the road too much.

Last edited:
If you have an automatic, 4.88's and 37's will not be very fun, and as mentioned if you are running stock shafts in the 44 stick to 35's.

I'm just getting ready to throw in my 9" and 44 I'm building. Will be running 5.13 with arb and 37 Mtr. The rear 9 will have stock shafts till next summer when I put in a hi third member and 35 spline shafts. In the front I'm just going to run stock shafts for now. I'm not scared to run them. If they snap then ill get cromo shafts

When I did this swap on my TJ, I was running 38.5x14.50 tires, with full chromoly shafts. I never broke the rear shafts, but I did toast the front, breaking almost everything except the CTM's.

I would say this combo is bulletproof with stock shafts on 35's. To go 37's, you need full Chromoly. I would not recommend anything above 37's, although I did make mine last for almost a year on 38's before I broke...well...everything

I am running 37 IROKs on my 44/60, but went with chromo shafts front and rear. One hard day so far without problems. I only have 4.10s too, but I was used to 33s with 3.55s before.

36 or 37" iroks bias ply. they are light and can be found used on craigslist pretty cheap from time to time.

Right now I'm leaning towards Maxxis Trepadors or Creepy Crawlers, but MTZ's aren't totally out of the running especially since I can get them straight from Walmart for $1060. I'm waiting on a quote from a local tire dealer on the Treps right now.

Shit.... if I can't make up my mind I might just keep running my 33" MTZ's or will that be horrible with the 4.88's? Yes, my XJ is an automatic.

I loves my 35 treps! Best tire I have ever had, and will buy another set for sure once I run down the used old style MTR I have going on my 44

Back