• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trans shifting funny..

Aquit45

NAXJA Forum User
I have 90 laredo with 148xxx. Yesterday replace the bat terms and washed down the engine compartment. Done it serval times no issues. Went to drive it after letting everything dry. Now it shifting different. I will go 1st threw 4th befor i hit 40mph and if i floor it i wont down shift. when i come to a stop it starts back in 1st. All the fuses are good and trans has been well taken care of. Any ideas...
Thanks

You got the TCU side of the TPS wet, which is usually a death sentence for the TPS. The Renix TPS hates water.

You can try washing it in a 90% isopropyl alcohol bath, and then try drying it in a slow bake oven at 230 F for a day or so.

You might even try sealing it in an oven safe bag, with dry rice in the bag as one last step and heat it to about 160 F for one more day. I hear that dry rice can salvage watered cell phones, it aks as a water sponge, desiccant drying aid.

Or just buy a new TPS.

Last edited:
Hey, you got your TPS wet. TPS does not like getting wet. Let it dry more. You could even take the TPS connectors off and dry them with a blow dryer etc. and may not need to replace it.

Back