• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Napier Precision hood vents?

AZjeepin1

NAXJA Forum User
Needing to add some hood vents and came across these in a search. My question is, will they really keep water out? My biggest concern about doing hood vents is precipitation getting under the hood...

How does your engine keep cool?(hint air flowing through the radiator) Guess what flows through the radiator when it rains, or you drive through a puddle. These kind of questions come up all the time, and I wonder if nobody has ever opened their hood after driving in the rain.

My xj had hood vent when I bought it 3 years ago. The throttle body sensors get wet, it's parked outside, it gets driven thru deep water, never a problem.

Is it a particular year, or series of years that its a problem? I don't see how the tps could stay dry when driving in the rain? I wasn't trying to be a jerk, it just seems like one of those "problems" that everyone talks about someone else having had? I know for a fact mine gets wet, I'm pretty sure the entire engine compartment gets soaked when you drive in the rain? I wouldn't worry about vents allowing water under the hood. For those who had problems, did you try sealing up the sensors where the wires enter with some silicon or grease to keep the water out, and if so did it work?

Thats nice. Other people have had problems with the sensors getting wet, especially the TPS.

I'm one of those people... After installing the hood vents it rained... no, down-poured for a day or two... The next day my '01 XJ would barely run at all. Water got into the connections of my TPS and was messing w/my rig.

Replaced the TPS and it fired right up and after a few miles of driving was good as new. I installed a drain under my drivers side vent and took care of any additional trouble w/water on my TPS.

If one thing driving in the rain gets the whole engine wet explain that? i have never seen a engine get wet driving in the rain. and mild spays or spatter is nothing like water pouring in and on the top of the engine. and the tps is very susceptible to get wet and cause erratic engine behavior and not just in Jeeps.. some units are sealed well and resist water from entering some loose their seal and can get water inside easy. there is a reason factory hood vents have water trays ...

I think the reason people think the engine doesn't get wet when driving in the rain is evaporation. Engine bays are hot and evaporation happens quickly. If air flows through your radiator, so does water. Point a pressure washer at you radiator and see if the engine gets wet. Driving freeway speed in even a moderate rain allows quite a bit of water into the engine bay. Not to mention the vortex created by the front bumper drawing water up from underneath. Your engine gets wet gauranteed. If your hood vents are directly over the tps, I could see an issue due to water accumulation and the engine being cool and not evaporating the water off.

Lots of XJ's have hood vents and have no issues with water under the hood. Le Baron hood vents are straight through, and usually directly over the TPS.

Spraying water directly onto the TPS, or playing Submarine Commander and dunking your TPS can, and usually will, ruin the TPS.

I think the reason people think the engine doesn't get wet when driving in the rain is evaporation.
It might get a light mist, but it doesn't get wet as you say. Even a cold engine won't get soaked. There is a lot of parts the water has to got through before it touches the engine. AC condenser, tranny cooler, radiator, etc. Not to mention the fan, which has a tendency to sling heavier items (i.e. water) off of it. So, no the engine doesn't get that wet in the rain.

email doug and ask! his contact is on the site and in the vendor section!

Sooooooooo do the Napier vents keep water out? Orrrrrrr?

They keep way more water out than the Lebaron vents! Since they also let hot air out, some water could probably get into the engine bay. If you're familiar with the lebaron style vents they let rain straight into the engine bay. On my XJ, all that water (& freezing rain) drenching the engine toasted the TPS.

Can't find a picture that cleanly shows this but the ventilation slots in our hood vents are cut into the vertical face of the vent instead of horizontal like the lebaron vents.

(Click for larger image)

Those pics helped explain it a LOT. Looks like I'll be trying a set, as I haven't seen any other hood vent that takes precipitation into account like the Napiers do.

Let me know how they go, I'm looking to pick up a set too. And post some better pictures too. All the ones on the site ( i think theres all of 2) are hella close up and I can't really get a feel for em

Back