• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Rough Country lift installed.

Sneaky

NAXJA Forum User
I started my lift last week taking my time and working a couple of hours a day. Today I got it all done. I had a couple of crazy issues but nothing too serious. The lift seems to be pretty good quality. I was really worried about the rear springs. I've seen all the terrible shackle angles and heard of all the terrible ride stories. When I ordered my lift I was told the springs are now longer and softer. Upon getting the rear installed and on the ground I was pleasantly surprised that the shackles are pretty much vertical. Not perfect, but better than I've seen in the past. I didn't have all my bolts break on the rear shocks either. Just the two on the drivers side. Some drilling and taping I got them as good as new again.
a8a6yrad.jpg

The ride is actually not bad from the rear.

As for the front... Setting up the cross member wasn't too bad. As for the special bit sizes I just used a 1/2 inch step bit and followed up with a 3/4 inch step bit for the rear holes that got the crush sleeve. I was kinda confused why use anything other than a half inch bit for a hole that a half inch bolt needs to go through... The rear hole for the 3/4 sleeve was absolutely perfect. However the hole alignment for the cross member was a bit off and was a little frustrating to deal with.

Next was to cut off the factory lower control arm brackets.

ugu6urud.jpg

After that task it was time to set up the lower control arms. My best advice is to set the length close as possible then instal and measure again. This is the only way to make sure the x-joints are square and you get a perfect measurement.
9e6u8u7a.jpg

Then was the other typical stuff like springs, shocks, trackbar, pitman arm, and the sway bar disconnects. By the way these lower bolts didn't just pound out. I had the cut the heads off so I could get some heat into the bolts then was able to pound them out.

pupupure.jpg

Now comes the really frustrating part of this whole lift instal. It was time to bleed the brakes. Should be easy to do this. I've got a lot of experience and have a few trucks for getting it done quick and right. However, after 64 ounces of fluid and not seeing air bubbles my brakes still went to the floor. WTH! So, I swallowed my pride and started looking on google for answers. Every post had a reference to the calipers being removed and put on the wrong side... This was impossible for my application since I just taken and replaced the line on each side, not possible to mix up the calipers... But wait! I noticed the previous owner did new brakes and these calipers were new looking. Sure as crap, I looked and mine were upside down. The pads had a left and right on them, this indicated new loaded calipers from the PO who got them mixed up. I swapped them out and got the brakes bled in five minutes max. I'd sure like to know how the PO got these bled...

gy7u8y8y.jpg

The ride is actually pretty good. I wish the 1 ton rode this nice I've even got Bilstiens on it. Future mods for the suspension is Bilstien 5100's and bump stops. I've got to get flares and bumpers first. I've got drive line vibrations but will be fixing that this week. If got the short JB Conversions SYE showing up tomorrow. Then ill have to find a shaft that will work.

apebeja9.jpg

All in all, I am pretty happy with the lift. I expect that later I will have to replace or rebuild bushings and replace sagging springs. However I knew that going into this and am ok with that. The price of this lift can't be beat and it got me what I needed on my budget being unemployed and a full time student. Not only that but I've seen this lift in action on other XJ's and was impressed with how it's performance.

Last edited:
Good work. Looks great! What wheels/tires do you have?

Looks good. 6.5"? How much longer are the leaves supposed to be? I had the 4.5 leaves with their shackle to give me 6.5 and your shackle angle looks the same as what mine was. I bought mine 2-3yrs ago. Still sporting the same springs but added hdoffroad relocation brackets and u-bolt eliminators.

Ya it's a 6.5 lift. Same as your leaf setup. Before I bought this lift I saw several pictures of the shackle at 45 degrees the wrong way. Talking with Jason at RC he said they're 1/4 inch longer and softer than previous.

Not to mention that you will have all of an inch droop from ride height with the shackle at that angle. I'm sure the pack will settle a bit but I would look into shackle relocators.

Ya the shackle angle is undesirable for sure. I know that, I will be ordering shackle relocators after I get the drive line sorted out after I instal the SYE. As for the angle, that's with the full weight of the jeep on the ground.

They will flex after a little time on the jeep.Mine set the same way till they broke in nice.
needmore.jpg

the other side.
slackinline.jpg

But the re locators do make it flex more and ride nicer.I had a friend give me a set.
Nice looking jeep, wish mine was as clean.

Good looking Jeep. Nice work too.
Funny about the brakes. Most people would have thought,"No way I messed that up, what else could it be?" and never checked. Kinda makes you wonder how the PO got the brakes bleed though,..

On the rear springs: did you set the Jeep down (full weight on springs) before tightening the bolts? The bushings can hold a lot of tension if they're tightened down with the springs relaxed.

Congrats on the new lift. May people were bashing this long arm set up when it came out, but the TNT was out of my budget, and IRO wasn't for me, so I got the RC upgrade back in 2010, I love it. BTW- make sure you grease those joints often.

You'll love the flex! Just make sure your brake lines are good to droop.

f78f7ad0.jpg

fdf1ec8d.jpg

Ya the shackle angle is undesirable for sure. I know that, I will be ordering shackle relocators after I get the drive line sorted out after I instal the SYE. As for the angle, that's with the full weight of the jeep on the ground.

Keep in mind that the shackle relocators will add some lift to your current setup.

Nice... Any issues with your steering linkage hitting the right sway bar pin when turned to the right? Mine does, I set the upper control arms at their recommended length. I think I'll have to pull them back about 3/8 to get the linkage to clear. I was going to confirm pinion angle as well. Hopefully it's just a bit high right now.

Keep in mind that the shackle relocators will add some lift to your current setup.
id rather have a little rake on a vehicle than the rear sagging.

I was going to order the low profile ones that I found from these guys https://froehlichsuspension.3dcartstores.com/LOW-PROFILE-Shackle-Relocation-Kit_p_22.html

Thanks for the compliments on the Jeep guys.
that guy is still around?

support a naxja vendor:
http://www.hdoffroadengineering.com/collections/frontpage/products/xj-shackle-relocation-kit

id rather have a little rake on a vehicle than the rear sagging.

that guy is still around?

support a naxja vendor:
http://www.hdoffroadengineering.com/collections/frontpage/products/xj-shackle-relocation-kit

But yet you don't support this site.Kinda funny isn't it.Just saying, not trying to start a fight.

Buy the second gen setup they are very vice, But they will lift your rear about a 1" so plan on the that.After you load it with everything it sets just about perfect

Good job, good looking rig. you will like the system. and they have improved all the joints and the bushings so you should not have any premature failures

Back