• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

death wobble

hickatron

NAXJA Forum User
I just finished installing a rc 4.5'' kit on my 99 XJ. The kit has adjustable upper and lower control arms, full leaf packs, and an adjustable track bar (along with all the coils shocks ect)
After installing the kit and getting it aligned I get death wobble at around 30mpg. The tie rods are tight, ball joints are tight, wheel bearings have no play. I did however find some slight play where the pitman and draglink meet.
can slight play at the pitman arm cause death wobble??????

Did you pay for the alignment? If yes i would take it back to them, if not i would get my tape out and start at 1/4 tow in and work your way out from there.I have one set at 1/8" tow in and my other is set at 1/8" out. I can drive both of mine with out a steering stabilizer, but i run them with stabilizers.
Did you re-balance your tires?

Oh i also have a friend with a all new frontend and his stopped DW at a 1/4 out.

Yes I payed for the alignment and im very upset that the did not tell me I had play in the front end. I found that in the driveway after the fact. ill go out and get the spec sheet they printed off and ill post the numbers up for you.

I would call and ask them what they are going to do about this problem.(First)

Did you set the UCA & LCA at the length they said? Also check the pit-man arm again to make sure it is still tight.
Do a search on here for doing your alignment in the driveway with a tape messure.Get a friend to help you with this, it is very easy to do.

I set the arms to the kits ballpark specs

My printout says
front left camber is -1.0(specified range -0.8 0.5)
caster is 5.8 (specified range is 5.3 8.5)
toe is 0.02 (specified range is 0.00 0.23
included angle is 21.1
turning angle diff is 20.1

right front camber is -0.6 (specified range is-0.8 0.5)
caster is 5.7 (specified range is 5.3 8.5)
toe is 0.04 (specified range is 0.00 0.23)
included angle is 21.9
turning angle diff is 21.4

Front cross camber is -0.5 (specified range is -1.0 1.0)
cross caster 0.1 (specified range is -1.3 1.3)
cross sai is -0.8
total toe is 0.06 Specified range is 0.00 0.45

Rear thrush angle 0.46 (specified range is -0.15 0.15

Back